A list of mechanics that everyone agrees on

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
There seems to be disagreement on some aspects of what the perfect swing is.
But there is also a lot of things everyone agrees on. Please list what you think is solid mechanics that most experts agree on as this could help many new coaches to get kids on the right track.
Thanks
Eric

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I've got a good mechanic, but I'm not giving his name out or else he won't have time to work on my cars.

P.S. New England Clam Chowder > RI Clam Chowder > Manhattan Clam Chowder > Chili

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Chili
Good Stuff is it not!!!
Gold Star or Skyline? Or a independent place.?
Some hot sauce and big glass a milk

Straightleg

Gold Star. All of my family in Ohio is now proud of me for knowing what Cincinatti Chili is. Cincinatti is a pretty cool city. Went to Arthur's for a burger when I was there. No clue where it is... but between the Chili and the burger, there is some stuff about weight shift that should be universal. :D

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
We have a better chance of agreeing on food. Spent Saturday with H and after the dd's tuneup had a great meal in a new place. Got to talk softball. I think I may regret it but I finally joined Hi today. Couldn't take it anymore with the post on softball and how to hit a riseball and how slappers have to be a rotational hitter. Man they have no clue about softball on that site.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I've got a good mechanic, but I'm not giving his name out or else he won't have time to work on my cars.

P.S. New England Clam Chowder > RI Clam Chowder > Manhattan Clam Chowder > Chili

Back East I used to enjoy Fish Chowder ... check out the No Name Restaurant on Fish Pier in Boston if you get a chance.

Here on the West Coast I enjoy Crab Chowder. Throw in some tobascco sauce and it's darn good.

crab-chowder-ck-549810-l.jpg

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Back to the topic at hand. I'll give it a shot:

Set-up

- Athletic stance
- Knees slightly bent
- Weight distributed fairly evenly on the balls of feet for good balance
- Comfortable grip. Bottom hand at knob, knocking knuckles lined up or slightly off-set
- Head turned to pitcher so both eyes facing forward for better pick-up of pitched ball
- Create upside down "V" with arms
- Hands off right shoulder or right ear (for RHB)
- Bat somewhere close to 45 degree angle (style choice)

Load

- During pitcher wind-up (12 o'clock ish), negative load
- Hands go back and weight shifts to back leg somewhat
- Shoulders and hips slightly rotate clockwise (back towards catcher) to maximize load

Unload

- Start small step towards pticher at the end of load
- Push off of big toe on back foot
- Arms and hands start to come forward to the inside of ball
- Lead with left elbow and the cue is "knob of bat" going forward
- Maintain bat angle, strong wrists
- Transfer of weight from back leg to front
- Front heel plant
- Firm left leg, slightly bent
- Hips are rotating open in connection with upper body
- Point of contact, sweet spot on barrel connects just below the centerline of ball

Extension

- arms extend towards the path of the pitched ball and the swing thought is "hit the ball as long as possible" and extend throught the hitting area (some have and will disagree with this step)
- Finish high with the hands and arms wrap around the upper body naturally

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
Extension

- arms extend towards the path of the pitched ball and the swing thought is "hit the ball as long as possible" and extend throught the hitting area (some have and will disagree with this step)
- Finish high with the hands and arms wrap around the upper body naturally

I'm not a fan of either one of these things.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet