A hashed out subject

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Sports are littered with strange terms. Think literally about the phrase "forward yet back" for a minute. It's a pure contradiction. Yes, you and I both know what it means, but the term itself isn't great.

When my daughter first started playing, she had one of those coaches that liked to yell instructions while she was in the batter's box (drove me crazy...). After one of the games she told me that this was very distracting. I asked her to just try to block it out. In the box, think about nothing but hitting the ball. Otherwise, keep your mind "empty". She started taping her wrists, and on the underneath of her left wrist she wrote the letters "MT". I asked her what that meant. It was her way of remembering to keep her mind "empty". Silly term, but it worked for her.

That's been my view all along. I want her to be successful. It isn't my job to be the vocabulary police... The term may seem silly to you. To me, arguing about it seems silly.
DD was a catcher, coach use to have them do a drill where they would throw down to second and try to get the ball in a bucket. DD use to visualize throwing into a bucket in a game. Was there really a bucket on 2nd base? No. Just something my DD use to think to help her focus, kind of like your DD writing MT on her wrists. Very personal to the player. And completely irrelevant to your interpretation of Bonds being a one legged hitter, unless you believe Bonds is just visualizing being a 1 legged man. :)

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Sports are littered with strange terms. Think literally about the phrase "forward yet back" for a minute. It's a pure contradiction.
Yes, you and I both know what it means, but the term itself isn't great.

When my daughter first started playing, she had one of those coaches that liked to yell instructions while she was in the batter's box (drove me crazy...). After one of the games she told me that this was very distracting. I asked her to just try to block it out. In the box, think about nothing but hitting the ball. Otherwise, keep your mind "empty". She started taping her wrists, and on the underneath of her left wrist she wrote the letters "MT". I asked her what that meant. It was her way of remembering to keep her mind "empty". Silly term, but it worked for her.

That's been my view all along. I want her to be successful. It isn't my job to be the vocabulary police... The term may seem silly to you. To me, arguing about it seems silly.
Quite possibly there lies the boundary of good/bad coaching...
Either say phrases that dont really make sense....that leads to multiple interpretations...including the unknown.
Or
Communicate with better words that explain to begin with.

Just had a discussion with a coach who was saying
Faster bat lag.
Asked him if be wants any lag in the bat he said no,
I asked why then are you using lag as a prompt?
He said this is how i heard it from so and so coach....
Asked does that really makes sense or is it a contradiction.
He realized its saying two opposite things together.
Just say faster bat/barrell.

Say what you want
Mean what you say

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Quite possibly there lies the boundary of good/bad coaching...
Either say frases that dont really make sense....that leads to multiple interpretations...including the unknown.
Or
Communicate with better words that explain to begin with.

Just had a discussion with a coach who was saying
Faster bat lag.
Asked him if be wants any lag in the nat he said no,
I asked why then are you using lag as a prompt?
Just say faster bat/barrell.

Say what you want
Mean what you say

Agreed. In my opinion it is all about relationships. The coach and the student need to be on the same page. When they are, the words are not as important as the understanding. While Meg was still in school I spent a lot of time helping her classmates with math homework. Everyone learns it differently, and I did not try to teach with a cookie cutter. I honed my instruction and my terminology in a way that worked for each individual student. In my opinion it was not the students job to find a way to understand my instruction, it was my job to explain it in a way that helped them understand.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
One legged is just a silly term.. why would anybody depend on 1 leg when they could leverage 2?

Because some movement patterns don't use both legs for leverage ;)They use the rear leg as the driver while the front leg catches the swing.

McM8euM.gif

k4xI3PF.gif

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
One legged is just a silly term.. why would anybody depend on 1 leg when they could leverage 2?
It became SILLY when other posters put their own little 'spin' on the phrase.....Of course 2 legs were ALWAYS used. Using the rear leg properly being more important.
Some posters took it 'literally' others didn't understand and some had(and still do) an agenda.....
Que up this:
CWlMOba3GqnAgi9sxuniRB3GvkyzF-JgIAGoKCtyConI8pYGumvl828Y2iZyYWLqvu5IPUO_w3XhFVSpaxG0DaY7rtKUhpssUUn4fnVcciqcromX5g

Oct 2, 2017
It became SILLY when other posters put their own little 'spin' on the phrase.....Of course 2 legs were ALWAYS used. Using the rear leg properly being more important.
Some posters took it 'literally' others didn't understand and some had(and still do) an agenda.....
Que up this:
CWlMOba3GqnAgi9sxuniRB3GvkyzF-JgIAGoKCtyConI8pYGumvl828Y2iZyYWLqvu5IPUO_w3XhFVSpaxG0DaY7rtKUhpssUUn4fnVcciqcromX5g
Is that clip referring to taking it "literally"

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
DD was a catcher, coach use to have them do a drill where they would throw down to second and try to get the ball in a bucket. DD use to visualize throwing into a bucket in a game. Was there really a bucket on 2nd base? No. Just something my DD use to think to help her focus, kind of like your DD writing MT on her wrists. Very personal to the player. And completely irrelevant to your interpretation of Bonds being a one legged hitter, unless you believe Bonds is just visualizing being a 1 legged man. :)

If the phrases you use work for you and your students great. I have no desire or need to make a big deal out of it. If it is that important to you I hope you enjoy yourself.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Didn’t realize that every time you post you are only speaking of phrases and methods that you experience with your students. If that’s the case then my apologies, but I could of sworn I’ve seen posts where you discuss theory and technical aspects which aren’t all about your DD or students. I thought that you referring to Bonds as being 1 legged was one of those times

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Didn’t realize that every time you post you are only speaking of phrases and methods that you experience with your students. If that’s the case then my apologies, but I could of sworn I’ve seen posts where you discuss theory and technical aspects which aren’t all about your DD or students. I thought that you referring to Bonds as being 1 legged was one of those times

Based on my interpretation of "one-legged", Bonds is a great example. Based on your interpretation of "one-legged", he is not. You and I simply have different beliefs of what "one-legged" really means. I have no issue with that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32