A good pitching machine ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 11, 2014
My daughter is moving up to kid pitch next year and I'm wanting to get a good pitching machine to get her use to faster pitches.

Dec 7, 2011
Whatever you get DO NOT get a single-wheel model that puts riseball spin on the ball. It screws up youngsters....

We had one of these through 12U and all it did was demoralize kids.

Funny - later it became usefull in representing that riseball that they eventually NEEDED to learn how to deal with.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
^ Yes, to the Youtube video. There is also one that is a big sling shot. Other than those, I haven't used my pitching machine for hitting, in 30 years.

Feb 18, 2014
^ Yes, to the Youtube video. There is also one that is a big sling shot. Other than those, I haven't used my pitching machine for hitting, in 30 years.

So Amy, you give the slingshot an official thumbs up? I have been on the fence trying to decide if it is a smart purchase.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I've used a single-wheel machine for years. If you maintain it well, which means sanding down the wheel every now and then and being careful about setting it on the ground properly it works fine. I have certainly seen pitching machines that are quite erratic and even dangerous, though. I also only use the seamed balls, which seems to help.

That said, you may want to start by investing in a pitching screen instead. You can set it close to the hitter - say 15 to 20 feet away - and sling balls at her from there. Even if you can't throw it hard, the shorter distance will cause her to have to react quickly, and the motion will be more like hitting off a real pitcher, helping her make the transition. That's what I use most of the time for hitters from 10U through college.

This is the one I use - the softball one, not the L-screen for baseball of course. JUGS Sports | Travel Ball Quick-Snap It's very durable and reasonably portable. There are other good brands out there as well.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I know two families that had the plastic sling shot. You sit on the seat and pull back on the ball. They were very happy with it. They were large families of both boys and girls. For pitching, you need a screen and probably a parent to sit there, but for outfield, anyone can use it. Also, you can use any ball that you happen to have.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
The world's greatest machine is live pitcher.... even if you have to get 15 feet away from behind a screen and front toss, It still beats a machine IMO!

Jul 11, 2014
Thanks for all the replies was thinking of jugs first flight or heater softball pitcher both single wheel machine and around 300 dollars. There is no local batting cages so just wanting to get her use to faster balls. Thinking might be cheaper to get a pitching screen and just throw to her. Thought it would be better for her to see a more consistent fast ball. I have 2 girls one 9 and one 7 so they both would be using the machine. Thanks again

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Dalek, I thought the same thing as you, 30 years ago. But, I found the pitching machine to be detrimental for my students. That is why I have a $1200 machine laying in pieces in my garage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah