A Few Things

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2011
So, we're in the midst of 10u Open Practices, to be followed by a tryout next Thursday (August 18). DD is a catcher. She's 8 (March birthday), but not a typical 8. She's about 56" tall, and weighs about 85 lbs (solid as a rock, with big strong legs). Here are the things that I'm working on her with, and instead of posting this in pieces on several different forums, I figured I'd post one big one here. Any and all help/suggestions are appreciated.

Catching: Of course, we're working on blocking the ball. She understands the concept, and is all over the "every bruise is to be worn as a badge of honor" bit. She is totally geeked about the idea that every ball she blocks means one base that the runner didn't get to advance to. She's having trouble not popping up to field balls in the dirt like an infielder would, but I think that is going to take more repetition than anything. I say this because about 1 out of 3, she gets down and smothers. Mental toughness and being vocal are other items that need to be addressed. She's 8, so of course, we're going easy, and not being harsh (I'm not a Crazy Dad). We're having to stress hustle, hustle, hustle. Mainly because I believe that two of the most important aspects of a softball player are heart and hustle. She's got a cannon for her age, and can make the throw down to 2nd in the air, but we're working on not putting so much air under the ball, and maybe letting it hop once or twice (shortest distance between two points is a straight line).

Hitting: If you've seen my posts with pictures of her hitting, you'll know that she's got a pretty swing. Planning on getting some video on here soon, but as most of you probably know, making the switch from coach pitch to kid pitch is going to be difficult. She has surprised me so far with her ability to judge balls/strikes, but her timing has been terribly thrown off from pitcher to pitcher. Mainly because of girls having different wind ups, and not being able to quite figure out when to start loading up. One little girl that is at practice is pitching about 40 mph. DD has been continuously late (don't think she's hit one fair yet to be quite honest). I want to stay away from a pitching machine because I think it gets girls in a rythm that is NOTHING similar to what they'll see in a game, but at the same time, we're going to have to work on getting started early, and instead of thinking "ball, ball, ball, STRIKE!!!"...thinking "strike, strike, strike, BALL!!!!" That way, we're moving with the intent to swing, and stopping at the last minute.

Pitching: I personally think she could be pretty good at this. She's got big strong legs that she can really drive with (not that an 8 year old completely understands how to use those things). Her pitching coach that she saw for about a month taught her some drills, and developed a pretty sound base of things to work on. So, we're working on that stuff, and backed off lessons (money doesn't grow on trees). Two things on this topic. 1. She pauses at the top with her circle, and doesn't have one fluid motion. 2. Her coach (a guy named Eddie Martwick) is teaching a step through delivery. He says that he doesn't coach velocity, and if that's what we're wanting to go somewhere else. I'm not sure if I like the step through thing, and that's mainly because I don't see any of the "GREATS" using it, and if there's one thing I've learned, it's that you try and do, not necessarily copy, what the best do. I also don't like the fact that when the step through, the glove is away from the plate, and line drives hurt!!!

Running: Now, here's an area of opportunity. She does several different types of running. When she's running to have fun, the girl can move. Playing chase, or running in a race after practice, she can hang with some of the fastest girls on the team. Then there's the silly running. That has nothing to do with softball, and it's really one of the things that makes her...HER. Finally, there's baserunning. In practice, she's about 16.5 seconds around the bases. We timed all the girls, and the fastest girl on the team was 15.2. Now, I don't know about anyone else, but in a game, the adrenaline gets flowing, and you really push yourself, and sometimes, your time around the bases would be faster. That is not the case with my "special" little baserunner. It literally looks like she's jogging. The only word I can think of is comical. There is not a parent in the stands, or a coach on the field that is not 100% perplexed on why it is she won't "UNHITCH THE TRAILER!!!!" I haven't yet figured out if it's because she's watching the ball or what. I honestly think she moves faster in full catcher's gear when she's on the field. It really is pretty funny when you see it, but still, needs to be figured out.

I work shift work, but am off next Monday-Wednesday. Planning a little clinic/boot camp for her. She really excited about it too. I told her it was going to be hard work, and she was gonna get really sweaty and dirty. Any thoughts on some stuff I could set up for her. We're gonna wake up about 7 in the morning, get a good breakfast, and try and beat the heat. In advance, thanks for the ideas.

Josh

May 1, 2011
I do like that stuff. Reminds of me of highschool football. Looks a little hardcore, which I personally like. Something I think would be great in a team setting.

Josh

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
For 40 bucks get a copy of Coach Weaver's catching DVD if you're serious about catching. Use the search function and you'll see nothing but excellent reviews. Also look at "Catching Coach" posts in the Catching forum for addt'l info. DVD can be ordered from the New England Catching Camp website.

May 1, 2011
Already ordered it. Wife already ordered it. Just waiting on arrival. That's the first thing I did whenever I starting reading the posts. Good call though.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Everyone knows the rules. We are not going to have a flame war develop--it takes you 10 minutes to write a post. It takes me 10 seconds to delete them. So, please, back on topic.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Everyone knows the rules. We are not going to have a flame war develop--it takes you 10 minutes to write a post. It takes me 10 seconds to delete them. So, please, back on topic.

Okay, on topic:

8 is too early to be drilling children in any sport. Thank goodness ASA said no when it was proposed to develop a national championship for an 8U classification.

$40 is too much to be paying for any DVD especially to gather information that is floating around the sports world for free.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Just do not over coach or over think things, you both should have a smile on your face. Neither of you should get to frustrated.

At this age they seem to do a better job emulating you then hearing what you say so you also need to learn good mechanics. For example when she throws a ball and is swimming, the odds are you are too. You need to pay attention to your mechanics.

Learn to pitch with her, do the same drills she does. Ask her to explain them to you and have her watch you to make sure you are doing them right. It will pay off.

May 1, 2011
So, we did two days, and she did great. She stayed the night at her friends house last night. We worked on a few things. Both of us got some exercise. It was great.

@MTR - We are going to have to just agree to disagree, and that's ok. My daughter is having fun with softball, and is eager to learn. We have really bonded because of it, and that means more to me than any ball that gets blocked, or hit to the wall. Her tryout is tomorrow, and she is brewing with confidence.

@Quincy - I have learned every single drill she has, and my wife told me that with more practice, I'd be a good BP pitcher (full wind up and everything). I learned good throwing mechanics at a young age, and have actually given throwing/pitching lessons for baseball and football. Coincidentally, she can throw the heck out of a football too.

I guess in conclusion....FUN WAS HAD. THanks folks.

Aug 18, 2011
When you get the video from Coach Weaver be sure to watch it. My son is a catcher and he got a lot out of it. The instruction is outstanding and you can really see how much he cared for his students. On a sad note, Coach Weaver passed away this summer which was a great loss to those who knew and admired him. Can't say enough good things about his work and his passion for teaching catchers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi