A few questions, 7 year old pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2014
First off, I just wanted to say what a great source of information I have found here. I become a little obsessed when researching a topic, so since I found this a few days back I think I have spent 3 straight days just reading! Anyway on to the questions

My daughter just turned 7 and completed her first season of pitching. Long story short, I realize she has been taught HE. (Ironic as well since she loves to watch the Amanda Scarborough slow motion video and we did not notice the difference until reading up on this subject) We went outside last night to try a few of the drills from I/R classroom, it is going to take some time for sure to change :)

1) She is pitching in an all-star tournament in two weeks. Should I leave her alone or start teaching the proper I/R now? Anyone else had to teach with someone this young? Just wondering how long it might take her to pick it up?

2) I have read through the PC forums. A) Don Sarno himself and his pupils are very close to me. Anyone know if he teaches I/R? If not, I know this is a nation wide board but if anyone had success with a PC in Orange County California I would appreciate the information

3) I have not come across this in the forums yet, so I apologize if this question is already answered, but what is the communities thoughts on the softball power drive that Amanda promotes

Thanks so much, I have a feeling I will be around for long time based on how much my daughter loves softball.

May 23, 2014
Thanks for the response. I appreciate the warning signs, something I will look for.

I like Hillhouse as well, we have watched a lot of his videos, including his presentation he did a few years back.

May 29, 2013
I would not change anything now for your dd. the I/R mechanics for the arm alone are in my opinion very different from those for H/E. Maybe not so much on the way up, but on the way down the backside they are. I would hold off until after the tourney. Then hit it hard and heavy.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I agree that you should just let your child pitch in the all-star tournament and then work on improving her mechanics. She is 7 YOA...I think you have plenty of time to fix her.

I know this is a nation wide board but if anyone had success with a PC in Orange County California I would appreciate the information

Uh...you do know you live in the best softball area in the world, right? You just have to look around...there are some great PCs in SoCal.

As to Amanda...she actually uses IR, she does a "fakie"...she uses IR, and then rotates her arm into the HE position.

The I/R mechanics for the arm alone are in my opinion very different from those for H/E.

Not really...Most HE pitchers use IR. The issue is maximizing the effectiveness of IR.

Attachments

• scar-fakie.jpg
    scar-fakie.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 92
May 7, 2008
Tucson
I teach 7 and 8 year olds, almost every day. One of the best things that you can do for her is to teach her a proper overhand throw. Have you found Wassermanstrength.com? I absorb that info, a lot.

What ball is your league using? I just found some 10 inch ones that are great for the little hands.

4 seam grip is the same for pitching, as it is for overhand throw.

If she is staying tall, pulling the ball, instead of pushing it, and keeping her arm circle close to her body and knows to try to release the ball at her back hip - that is going to be a ton of information for her.

Good luck and make it fun.

May 23, 2014
Love the advice so far everyone!

I am definitely looking for PCs now, and have a few feelers out, just checking to see if anyone had recommendations. Like some of you had mentioned, I want to make sure I get the right teacher

The league uses the 10 inch ball actually. I have not looked at the Wassermanstrength.com but I will look into ASAP.

We went out this morning and just had some fun with it, making sure we just laugh when the pitch gets crazy so she doesn't feel stressed about it! She actually understands the concept, but I did notice this morning she was releasing way to far forward, not at her back hip

Oct 22, 2009
I've taught one 6yr old and and currently teaching 2 7yr olds and starting a 6yr after summer (I'm making the dad wait, he wants to start her NOW!).
I keep them to the basics, use the whip motion in their drills, then just let them throw at full pitch. I've got one now taking the gym step but I'm just letting her do it. She's having fun and is finding out how to get speed out of her tiny little stick legs doing this. She's got a long time before she pitches in games again, maybe all the way till next spring.

So wait till after the tournament, then focus on it in her drills, don't over practice at her age, and let her have fun.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA