A dirty, rotten trick play.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Hal I don't understand why you keep pushing for people to play bush league. Just because you can do something (and it's within the rules) doesn't mean you should.

Respect the game and respect the players.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Just a small word of warning when thinking about garbage like this. Beware of the next 2 hitters gettin PLOWED..............I'm just saying......

Could you explain this to me? batters for which team and what is plowed? Run over, HBP?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Now that is funny BM ..... because I'm reading this thread and the self advertising for a book on the topic, and I'm thinking to myself "why not simply place more focus on the fundamentals of teaching solid mechanics"?

A book on what topic?? Trick plays?? What book are you referring to?

As far as teaching goes, the team in the field taught a very good lesson to the team at bat. Buy an official rulebook and learn the rules or they might be used against you.

Heres another one for ya.

Runners on 1st and 3rd. Pitch is thrown. Runner on 1st breaks for 2nd, catcher comes up and makes the throw toward 2nd, runner in 2rd breaks for homw, THE OLD DOUBLE STEAL. EXCEPT short stop intercepted the throw and fires the ball home catching the runner 5 steps from home plate and now she's in a run down.

If that is using unfair tactics, be prepared to go home early on in the tournament when the other team uses it agains you~

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Could you explain this to me? batters for which team and what is plowed? Run over, HBP?

What they are saying is that when you use gimmicks to get an advantage over your opponent, the opposing pitcher may not like it, and be instructed to throw at a batter, or someone might be taken out; tit-for-tat!

What Hal is advocating is certainly legal and could be executed. I personally have seen such tricks before, but it is also something that would take a lot of time to "orchestrate" and practice. I don't spend the time. Everyone involved as I said before would need a complete understanding of nuances of the play. And it may not work as often as one might wish. As a result you are taking time away from something else that might be more beneficial in a regular training regimen.

This is just my opinion, but who could predictably pull this play off? I think only highly trained teams at elite levels could do it, and not sacrifice practice time and emphasis. As a result, I think you might be more vulnerable to retribution, since those teams also understand "pay-back" and how to execute it without any practice time involved. Ouch!

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
A book on what topic?? Trick plays?? What book are you referring to?

As far as teaching goes, the team in the field taught a very good lesson to the team at bat. Buy an official rulebook and learn the rules or they might be used against you.

Heres another one for ya.

Runners on 1st and 3rd. Pitch is thrown. Runner on 1st breaks for 2nd, catcher comes up and makes the throw toward 2nd, runner in 2rd breaks for homw, THE OLD DOUBLE STEAL. EXCEPT short stop intercepted the throw and fires the ball home catching the runner 5 steps from home plate and now she's in a run down.

If that is using unfair tactics, be prepared to go home early on in the tournament when the other team uses it agains you~

1) unless the SS has a much better arm than the 2nd baseman, the SS has to pivot to make a throw home (accuracy). The 2nd baseman has a natural RH throw to home without any footwork and momentum interfering with the throwing accuracy.
2) The only advantage a SS has is that if R1 stops in the baseline, the SS has the play in front of her and can proceed to push the R1 back to 1st base. However, the SS has the play at 3rd behind her, so that is another disadvantage.
3) the 2nd baseman has R1 behind her, but R3 in front of her and can see that play develop. If R3 doesn't break and R1 hesitates in the baseline, she can be taught to move back to the baseline. However, if she rotates to move back she should never do it "clockwise".

This play has been done about 1 billion times I think. I have my SS cheat, then go to the bag. I never have my middle-infielders moving before a pitch crosses the plate, so I mean they are set in fielding position as close to the bag as necessary. The 2Bman cuts in across the infield, and the SS is prepared to back up the throw 20 feet behind her. That is a must, or you will have a run scored, and R1 will become R3.

Mar 9, 2011
West Barstow, Ca
Im curious...Do plays like this ever occur at the highest levels under the most competitive circumstances? It doesnt seem like a good idea but this threads title was a dirty rotten trick play. I think the benefit to me by reading this was to know that its possible.I would never do this and never practice this. I imagine you'd have to practice this for it to be successful. Anyway, thanks Hal!

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
1) unless the SS has a much better arm than the 2nd baseman, the SS has to pivot to make a throw home (accuracy). The 2nd baseman has a natural RH throw to home without any footwork and momentum interfering with the throwing accuracy.
2) The only advantage a SS has is that if R1 stops in the baseline, the SS has the play in front of her and can proceed to push the R1 back to 1st base. However, the SS has the play at 3rd behind her, so that is another disadvantage.
3) the 2nd baseman has R1 behind her, but R3 in front of her and can see that play develop. If R3 doesn't break and R1 hesitates in the baseline, she can be taught to move back to the baseline. However, if she rotates to move back she should never do it "clockwise".

This play has been done about 1 billion times I think. I have my SS cheat, then go to the bag. I never have my middle-infielders moving before a pitch crosses the plate, so I mean they are set in fielding position as close to the bag as necessary. The 2Bman cuts in across the infield, and the SS is prepared to back up the throw 20 feet behind her. That is a must, or you will have a run scored, and R1 will become R3.

Steve, thank you for poinying this out. I am in error. I said the SS intercepts the ball but I meant tyhe 2nd baseman.

I am working on my second cup of coffee now so I should do better now. :)

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Steve, thank you for poinying this out. I am in error. I said the SS intercepts the ball but I meant tyhe 2nd baseman.

I am working on my second cup of coffee now so I should do better now. :)

I was a little surprised, but also thought you might have errored. You know plenty about the game. No problem.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Im curious...Do plays like this ever occur at the highest levels under the most competitive circumstances? It doesnt seem like a good idea but this threads title was a dirty rotten trick play. I think the benefit to me by reading this was to know that its possible.I would never do this and never practice this. I imagine you'd have to practice this for it to be successful. Anyway, thanks Hal!

You are welcome. I am not an advocate of using these types of plays as they can backfire if not done correctly. HOWEVER, as you illustrated, I AM an advoccate of coaches and teams being made aware of them and to expect them and look for them.

A young team practicing them and using them successfuly in a game / tourney, those kids LIVE for using trick plays against the competition. The team you used it against will be paranoid that you will use another trick play against them. It can take away from the other team's concentration and that always helps your team.

Show a young team a trick play and explain it well including what might happen if not done correctly/ Then ask for a show of hands to see how many WOULD like to use it. You might be VERY surprised to see EVERY hand go up with a big smile on EVERY face. IUt's a game and it is supposed to be fun. Outsmarting the other team is always fun.

Ever heard the phrase "Play harder and smarter"?

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX

I have never seen it at the levels I coach. However, that doesn't mean it couldn't work. It is viable. However, it is a choreographed play, meaning it would require quite a bit of practice. Also, the 3B and SS would have to have a deep understanding of the rule nuances. For me I would never take away practice time from the normal 1st and 3rd defensive plays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdowowihcw