A common thing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2010
Two sixth grade girls came to me and asked about what I teach. Well actually it was their parents, but they were unimpressed because I don't emphasize learning a bunch of pitches. My emphasis is on form and being able to hit your spots. I told them I would rather they master 3 pitches as opposed to throwing six or seven poorly. They seem to think having a ton of pitches is the way to go. I may be wrong, but I have seen some dominant pitchers with only two pitches. They just had those two mastered. Is this a common thought? Am I all wrong?

Jan 22, 2011
Been to the USA Coaching School clinics twice.... in 2011 and 2013. Both times Mike Candrea said if a girl has a fast ball (really a drop ball) and an effective change-up and can hit spots with both, thats good enough for him. I've heard variations of girls needing two out of three pitches- fast ball hitting spots, a good movement pitch, and an off speed pitch, to be a good pitcher.

When my DD was 8 she came back from a lesson saying the coach claiming he had taught her 4 pitches. I said, 'What? Ball, WP, Fastball and change up?'. Luckily it was him teaching her low/inside, high/inside, high/outside, low/outside FB's.

Nov 16, 2015
I am with you Wild Man. My dd is 14u. I am at practice with 12's, 14's and 16's. my daughter throws a 'fastball' that naturally drops away from righties. She is getting better at her release point to control the drop on it. She has started throwing a 2 seem, which dives in on righties and has more sink than her 4 seam and her best pitch is her change. I told her she needs better control and she can start the rise.

the rest of the organization all has 4-6 pitches and none of them do anything. it is ridiculous.

I catch a bunch of them. Its fun and i enjoy that. The one girl's dad is telling me how great her rise it. I said its not rising, its just a high fastball. She started working on a 2 seem. Some times it drops and sometimes it rises. How can a ball with down spin rise? My favorite is the curveball. girl has great curve ball, but it has down spin. You are just throwing it there and not making it curve.

Moral of the story. Keep it simple. master and then move on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michellehopkins80