9U Help – Video Attached

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD was able to practice hitting for the 1st time in a year. Any suggestions where to get started would be appreciated. Going to a hitting instructor is off the table for this spring season; after the season is over might be an option.

She is small for her age but is athletic. Her left foot is injured and she is in pain when she plants it but she wants to play and doctor cleared her.

I have never posted a video before; comments on the actual video would be welcome too.

Oct 25, 2009
I know I sound like a broken record but what I would like to see her do first is lead with the hips. Have her start her hips moving and keep her hands back and then swing and try to catch up to the hips.

I also think leading with the hips is going to make that slight bat drag disappear.

She looks pretty good at this point. There is plenty of really good information on this forum. Take time to read and view the videos and try the suggestions on yourself until they make sense.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
She needs to create some sort of load back then into the swing much like a pitcher winds up to pitch. A load is like the hitter's wind up to swing the bat with force and accuracy.

If she starts with her weight distribution at more 50/50 between her feet, she will have more room to load her weight back as the pitcher winds up.

My three most basic core fundamentals to hitting are this. 1) See the ball. 2) Have good timing and balance. 3) See the ball.

Always refer to these core fundamentals first when evaluating your daughter's swing.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
She is younger than I'm used to looking at, so I don't know of my comments will make sense.
first I agree with all of the above but I believe I see the beginnings of a negative move/wind up.

leading with the hips is important as her swing is all arms. She is also too upright with no upperbody tilt at the waist.

If you watch only her lead elbow, you'll see she never gets to (what I believe Chris O'Leary calls)the power "V" extension. Rather than leading the swing all the way through, that elbow is low at contact and her delivery of energy to the ball centers around keeping both elbows tight to her body. rear elbow should be close to body and lead elbow should be high, leading the bat. It looks like she might be trying to do that but then bails out at contact where she has already let that lead wrist bend.

Maybe teach her how to hit a backhand with a tennis racket and then have her do some one-handed swings off a tee using only that lead arm. (Make sure you use a light bat) Let her know that by using only this one hand it makes it more important to turn the hips and use the body.

hope this helps.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
To expand a bit on what Jim said, have her move back (coil) toward the catcher as the ball is coming and then uncoil to swing. Coil the bottom half, not the top half; she should still be able to see the pitch with both eyes. Right now she is hitting from a dead stop--not good.

May 31, 2009
If you don't have time everyday to pitch to your DD, you might want to try the soft toss machine on this web site. Beebe Sports Inc.
Set it up and your dd can practice hitting on her own any time she wants. It's easy for a young kid to set up and operate...no batteries or electricity needed.

If you have a one handed swing trainer bat, she can practice hitting balls off this machine using the front arm. Working with the one handed swing trainer bat on this machine may help get her in the habbit of leading with her hips and getting some whip action in her bat.

Before ball starts back down, she will have to rotate quickly (keeping the knob inside the ball) and whip the barrel of the bat at the ball, before ball comes back down to the machine. Using the one handed trainer bat, I would reccomend using a ball smaller than a softball, preferrably one of those softer baseballs.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
If you don't have time everyday to pitch to your DD, you might want to try the soft toss machine on this web site. Beebe Sports Inc.
Set it up and your dd can practice hitting on her own any time she wants. It's easy for a young kid to set up and operate...no batteries or electricity needed.

If you have a one handed swing trainer bat, she can practice hitting balls off this machine using the front arm. Working with the one handed swing trainer bat on this machine may help get her in the habbit of leading with her hips and getting some whip action in her bat.

Before ball starts back down, she will have to rotate quickly (keeping the knob inside the ball) and whip the barrel of the bat at the ball, before ball comes back down to the machine. Using the one handed trainer bat, I would reccomend using a ball smaller than a softball, preferrably one of those softer baseballs.

If using a one handed trainer bat, make sure she uses The Bat Jack with it. It keeps the proper grip on the bat handle and assists in control and strength, especially when swinging with one hand. Its perfect for what she needs to work on.

The Bat Jack Grip Trainer - Baseball / Softball Swing Aid Develops Proper Bat Grip For Hitting

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD’s current swing no longer resembles the attached video.

We are still working on a few things mentioned in the replies but she is hitting the ball harder now.

Thanks again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12