9.5 year old pitching speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2015
I understand that I should not be worried about speed at her age.
The Alpha male that I am wants to know is 40-43mph typical for her age? What is typical?

Pitching coach said she was throwing 40-43mph consistently. I do pay him, so not sure how reliable that is.
She does throw faster than most girls I've seen.

She will pitch in her first tournament in 2 weeks. It can't get here soon enough.

Thanks for yalls help.

Jun 12, 2015
Mine just turned 9. Her max ever (we only clock once a month to 6 weeks) is 46. I think her average is more like 41-43 for a fast ball.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Like JAD said! Command, Movement, and Velocity in that order. Focus relentlessly on the mechanics and you will never need to worry about speed.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
What is typical?

Pitching coach said she was throwing 40-43mph consistently. I do pay him, so not sure how reliable that is.
She does throw faster than most girls I've seen.

She will pitch in her first tournament in 2 weeks. It can't get here soon enough.

Thanks for yalls help.

I've seen widely variable speeds on radar guns. Typical, 37-42mph consisently. I've only seen one girl throw 50+ @ 9U and she was awesome.

Apr 12, 2015
Definitely don't focus solely on speed at a young age. I've seen many a promising young fireball thrower ruined simply because they got in the habit of overpowering batters at the 10U and 12U level. At those younger levels, that fastball right down the center can be intimidating and the younger players often lack the hand/eye coordination to get the timing of it. At 14U and even second year 12U, that 55-60mph ball thrown right down the center looks awfully fat.

I echo what JAD and Riseball said about command, movement, velocity, in that order.

Aug 16, 2015
Throwing it 40-43 with it going where she wants it to will get a lot of people out. It's good speed for this age.

Throwing it 48 but never throwing a strike will just cause a Merry-go-round and let up more runs than the girl who is serving up BP at 35-38.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01