8U Rec Pitcher Dilemma

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
We had our first practice last Saturday and of the 11 girls I saw, 1 of the girls was clearly the most accurate pitcher in the group by a wide margin. Also has good speed for 7/8 rec player not the fastest of the group but close. She was "taught" by older siblings and cousins.

The delemma I have is her form or style is one that will limit her going forward. She pitches from a completely closed position. That is she never opens her hips at all. Never pivots the push foot. She faces the catcher square from setup on the pithching plate all the way through her release and follow through.

1 - So do I ignore it and have a pitcher who consistantly throws pitchers that can reasonable be expected to be called strikes. A huge plus at 8U rec.

2 - Do I try and correct her to a open pitching style? That is what I am teach all the other girls most who have no prior pitching experience. Mind you I'm not a pitching coach and don't pretend to be. I no longer know just enough to be dangerous, I now know enough to recognize many common flaws and can at least start beginning young pitcher on the proper path but tell parents if they want their kids to be pitchers going forward there is no real substitute for a good pitching coach.

3 - Do I talk to the parents and let them make the call on how we want to proceed with this young girl?

I think 3 is the best option. And bear in mind we get all of 8 total practices weather permitting before games begin. I realize changing her will probably set her back in the short term but I think it would help her in the long term if she decides to stick with it.

Any ideas from some of the more learned folk on the board?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I agree with #3 and I think you expressed it well.

Be ready to run interference for her with the other parents when she goes backwards.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Fix it in the off season. That would be my advice.

I have to agree. Too late with the season right in front of you to change. But I'd go ahead and plant the seed to the parents, "she's good but could be so much better with proper instructions ". You try to change her style during the season and she struggles, her and the parents will have a bad taste in their mouth.

Feb 3, 2011
She's 8, she wants to pitch, and she's shown you that she can pitch. She gets the ball to the catcher and gives the opposing teams the opportunity to swing their bats, which will hopefully lead to balls being put into play and providing chances for your defense to make plays.

In short, she's exactly what you want at this age. Everyone cannot afford or make time for weekly pitching lessons, but regardless of her family's circumstances, if it is your intention to present yourself as an beginner instructor, I would still follow Shockcoach's suggestion to wait until after the spring season before trying to modify her style.

If she demonstrates potential and desire, have a conversation with the parents at some point. Maybe you can suggest a few different instructors they might consider.

Jun 3, 2009
She's 8.... there's no dilemma at all. Simply do what is in HER best interest. Ensure she's a better player at the end of the season than she was at the beginning and try to foster in her a love of the game. Pull her aside, with her parents: tell her she's doing great, then teach her (and more importantly, her parents) what she needs to work on to get better. You're not going to make her into a pitcher in eight practices. But, there's no excuse for short-changing her and impeding her development as a player.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom