76 mph

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2022
There’s always going to be a unicorn that can get it done despite non traditional methods but that doesn’t change that for the vast majority of kids traditional brush and ir will produce the best results. The same is true in hitting. Over the years I’ve seen some kids with technically pretty terrible swings that just seem to get it done…bigger, stronger what have you. Doesn’t mean I’m going to strive to teach my kid that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 13, 2023
There is nothing abnormal about Pickens. I like it.
Like what @Shawn is bringing to the discussions because it is breaking through the crust of narrow discussions that don't look at the bigger perspective of success in *mechanics.
( finally moved beyond discussions that repeat themselves where some posters comment looking for the one mechanic used a specific way they think is the only way a mechanic should happen. And in that way certain comments negate even what some successful pitchers are doing. Which imo is wrong to do. Because success can be found in different ways)

Aka~ the words pitching *mechanics
is plural because there is more than one specific set of pitchers mechanic.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
Still have to wonder if she’d be even better if she did use “conventional“ mechanics. Not velocity-wise but It might help some of the control issues she seemed to have in that game that was posted. Have to admit, I never really watched her before this thread so maybe control isn’t that much of an issue - but going by that clip, it was.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
There’s always going to be a unicorn that can get it done despite non traditional methods but that doesn’t change that for the vast majority of kids traditional brush and ir will produce the best results. The same is true in hitting.
It's difficult to know if Pickens's method is viable because no one teaches it. Looking at her reminds me of the first time I saw a Barry Bonds slo-mo swing, I remember thinking 'wow, that's different', and now there's a whole cottage industry built around it.
It might not replace traditional posture and brush but offer an alternative way of getting it done. I'm not saying I'm going to teach it but if I get a student that throws the ball well with some of those 'moves' I'm not going to be so quick to step in and modify it.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023
It's difficult to know if Pickens's method is viable because no one teaches it.
Are you saying she doesn't have a pitching instructor?

Going to guess she is probably not self-taught. Rather taught and individually improved!
* she took what she was taught and made it her individual success..

May 13, 2023
Jul 19, 2021
The fastest you can throw doesn’t have a perfect up right posture. It’s actually tilted toward the throwing arm.
Speaking in absolutes ^^^^^
The way she is throwing could possibly apply greater leverage.
Saying it's possible ^^^^^ (y)

See the difference? the 2nd post is much more palatable and breeds discussion and discovery. It is possible that's the case, but you need a much larger dataset along with some science/physics backing it up in order to make an absolute statement.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207