6U Team Rules and Expectations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
I love 6u. We play coach pitch at that age. You need at least 2 adults in the dug out at all times. Just have fun.

My 6u story... We made it to the championship game in DD#2's 1st year at 6u. Since it was the championship game, they moved it to the softball field, which was all dirt and hard as concrete. They had played the whole year on a smaller field that was all grass.

The team we was facing was undefeated and never had a game even close. We also was allowed 2 coached in the field (behind the outfield line). Tie ball game in about the 3rd inning. Runners on 1st and 2nd with 2 outs and their biggest and best hitter up. DD was playing 3rd and I had her positioned well behind the bag. Big girl ropes it down the line. DD lines it up and gets into good position. I didn't see the hop, but from DD's cries, I could tell it hit her. The ball is literally at her feet and she has both hands over her face. She turns toward me crying and I said pick ball up. She turns around, picks the ball up, takes 2 steps, and makes the force at 3rd. Turns out it caught her right below her nose and busted her top lip.

We lost the game, but several of our parents were giving me a hard time for telling her to get the out. I said she can cry on the way to 3rd just as well as crying standing. :D Per league rules, play should have been stopped and all runners advance one base, but ump didn't call it that way. DD#2 still sees that as one of her proudest moments. :D

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
Agree with a lot of posters above. Make it fun. Stress fundamentals of throwing, fielding, batting. Demonstrate, or have an older player come and demonstrate in slow motion proper form. Have them practice proper form. But only for a short amount of time, as at that age, attention span will be VERY short.

Also, completely agree with everyone saying only one bat out at a time, controlled by an adult. If kids have their own bat, have an area for the bats, and only give it to them when it is their turn to swing. We had an incident after a 12u practice one time. Everyone milling around putting things away, talking, etc and a girl got hit with a bat right in the forehead. Made a sickening sound that I will never ever forget. Obviously at 12u all the players know better than to swing a bat around when not the proper time, and people walking around. Well, a girl that had never played was there visiting, and picked up the bat.....by the time anyone could say anything....was too late.

Oct 22, 2009
If anyone asks you what ball glove they need, go with the monsta webs. Those toy pink gloves are awful.

I've saved many a kid from those little plastic skillets while browsing the sporting goods section, never fails a little one will run up and grab one and say, "I WANT THIS ONE!", and I'll tell the parent, "NO SHE DON'T".

2 weeks ago at 12u practice had a player that never played before show up with a tiny little glove. couldn't catch anything. She was sent home with orders to get a better one. Last week, catching everything!

Oct 22, 2009
We lost the game, but several of our parents were giving me a hard time for telling her to get the out. I said she can cry on the way to 3rd just as well as crying standing. :D Per league rules, play should have been stopped and all runners advance one base, but ump didn't call it that way. DD#2 still sees that as one of her proudest moments. :D

I'm with you, I was one of those tough parents. And my DD learned to always make the out or drag yourself to the base before succumbing to the injury. There will still be an ice bag there.

In 12u her 3rd baseman took a line drive right off her chin, DD ran to the ball, fielded it up, threw out the batter then made her way to her 3rd baseman, just like I taught her. ;)

May 4, 2014
So Cal
Rule 1: Patience and more Patience
Rule 2: Its about teaching the Parents
For many parents this is the first time they let their kid out of their protective cocoon! They need to learn to let go for just an hour as well as the "culture" of the league... what are their expectations and the leagues and your expectation of them... the better you prepare the parents the better odds of them coming back!
Rule 3: Its about the kids having fun and a good experience
Sorry this may sound controversial but at 6U its not about teaching them the game its about teaching them the LOVE of the game... they will have plenty of time to perfect the catch, throw, running, hitting but if they dont learn to LOVE the experience they wont be coming back for more... SB skills come secondary to them having fun and a good experience... you should have both as key goals but skills cant trump fun/happy experience
Rule 4: Its all about snacks, dirt castles, pretty weeds

Why in the world would you need a blue in a 6U game? we dont keep score, everyone bats, getting the kid to stay on base or get back into dugout after an out is at managers discretion, last batter makes all kids run around the bases... they dont even remember where 2nd base is or whats a SS at 4 yrs old much less will they understand why they have to go sit in dugout

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
I can't stop shaking my head and chuckling at this...6U championship game????????????????????????????

Yep. I don't make the rules. :D Heck, many moons ago, I can remember wining the league championship game in TBALL. Our sponsor was a local ice cream shop. We had all you can eat ice cream after the championship game. :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach