6u dd

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 3, 2013
Thanks for the input guys. Looking for a pitchers plate right now. We use the edge of the sidewalk in the video because its the closest thing we have right now, and I thought its better then just flat ground. We have her first lesson scheduled for this coming Friday. She's in 6U, they do kid pitch (4 pitches per batter I think) (or coach pitch) and then the batter hits off a tee. 8U is all kid pitch. She will have to move up to 8u in the spring.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I second CLM265's advice, but would suggest foregoing the open/close part. "Closing" can be a dangerous cue and any closing just happens. Pushing hard and using the hands to swing out to the target (and occasionally a cue to get more open) is often enough. With a kid this young, I'd spend most of my time making sure she's having fun and providing enough challenge to keep it fun. 1-2X per week until she's getting close to games, then maybe 3-4X for no more than 20 minutes. She doesn't "need" any formal warm-up, but the routines of going through a few dynamic motions and some overhand throwing is a great habit to get into.

Aug 3, 2013
Thanks Ken. She asks to practice every day. We take it easy on the pitching though, maybe 15-20 minutes every other day. On days she doesnt pitch she is doing 100 arm circles on a wall in the house and 20 good, straight push offs. Basically have a power line set up on the living room floor.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Your video made me smile. It looks like your DD is having fun with pitching, keep it fun for her :)

I second the comment about getting a professional PC for a few lessons so she has a clue on correct mechanics. correcting bad mechanics is very very difficult, it's easy to know good mechanics to begin with.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA