6u dd

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 3, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV1V5AERmp0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

My DD and I having some fun learning to pitch!! Not bad for a few days work!! Im looking for some direction on what to fix....and what to fix first. I'm no expert but I can see a few things we need to have some fun with working on:

-Stepping out straight and not to the left
-Getting hips open when ball at the top
-Follow through more
-Drag back toe straight out and not so much bottom of the foot

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Very cool! Keep it simple, keep it fun and keep it fun. I'd have her watch a few videos of some pitchers and point out how they load and explode. See what she does with that.

Ken

Aug 3, 2013
Very cool! Keep it simple, keep it fun and keep it fun. I'd have her watch a few videos of some pitchers and point out how they load and explode. See what she does with that.

Ken

Oh yeah for sure!! She has the bug and just want to keep her having fun and learning the correct way first.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
She has a tendency to want to pull her hand back after release. I would try giving her some goal that she can relate to like trying to hold her finish and then check her nail color. That way she can paint her nails and get better at pitching. A two for one!

Aug 3, 2013
She has a tendency to want to pull her hand back after release. I would try giving her some goal that she can relate to like trying to hold her finish and then check her nail color. That way she can paint her nails and get better at pitching. A two for one!

Thats an awesome idea. Definitely will try that!!

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
I second what Ken was mentioning. Get a pitching plate and install it so she gets used to taking a proper stance. Clear out an area that is just dirt if you can. Work on push off with and without the ball. Try the drill that body is leaning forward with bent push off leg and straight back the push off to the open position. After she gets used to that try pushing off to open and then close. Since she is starting young have her get used to pushing off and then turning. Her push off foot should leave the pitching plate before she starts turning. Add the ball in and let her just wing it without worrying about where it goes.
Stick with it using many short sessions rather than a couple long ones a week. Add some overhand throwing in then small pop ups go back to pitching a few and then try some walk troughs mixed in. My DD loved doing running walk troughs at that age. Don’t forget to laugh with her when she does some silly pitches.

Feb 7, 2013
StingRay - if she enjoys pitching, I would get her a few lessons with a professional so they can teach her the basics before she ingrains bad habits that are more difficult to fix 6 months, a year from now. A good PC will create a routine of drills leading up to the full motion. I second the suggestion of putting down a pitching plate at 30 feet and having her always pitch from there. Keep it fun but a little structured and she will improve dramatically, especially the first year. Hopefully your league has kid pitch at 8U otherwise she will have to wait a couple of years to face live batters which would be a shame. Lastly, continue to work on her overhand throws and catching skills so she can field her position while in the circle.