6-4-3

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
MTR ... you make my case for me quite nicely.

Sure, bury your head in a rule book. Find exactly how it is written, and try to win an argument against a 12U travel ump who has never, I mean never, made that call before,

One word, two syllables, "pro-test". The only case I make is that if the umpire believes the retired runner drew a throw, s/he can rule INT. And that is THE rule, so you should know it if you are going to discuss it.

Or just go to the game, watch it closely, and figure out the "rules" from there. My way probably wins more arguments than any.

Actually, you will not, at least not with any umpire who works at his/her game.

Oct 25, 2013
DFW Area
MTR ... you make my case for me quite nicely.

Sure, bury your head in a rule book. Find exactly how it is written, and try to win an argument against a 12U travel ump who has never, I mean never, made that call before,

Or just go to the game, watch it closely, and figure out the "rules" from there. My way probably wins more arguments than any.

Listen folks, I am just a dumb dad. And this is a RULES board and I am going to lose every argument. However, my input does possibly have value.

Don't put yourself in a position a bad call loses games. Don't focus primarily on the umps. Instead, enjoy the game, and focus all of your efforts as a parent toward getting along with fellow team members. Make it your goal to be the perfect parent, celebrating accomplishments by the team, and the players. Make the players all feel "special" as much as possible. Portray team always.

You will find you win more.

Focusing on the umpires is for losers. Your efforts can be better spent elsewhere. Like focusing more on what actually gets called in your age group, maybe not the specifics of the rule, but how to tell your DD what calls the umpires are actually making so she can adjust her game accordingly.

very well put ... as a 25+ year umpire veteran I still find it so amazing, and amusing, how many parents/fans focus on the umpires's calls, especially after a close one goes against them, rather than on their kids playing the game

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
very well put ... as a 25+ year umpire veteran I still find it so amazing, and amusing, how many parents/fans focus on the umpires's calls, especially after a close one goes against them, rather than on their kids playing the game

Well, it couldn't possibly be their kid's fault, so someone must bear the blame :)

Tex

Sep 13, 2011
This play is covered by the rules. The runner is out going to 2nd base per force out. Also per rule a retired runner who draws a throw, interference is now called. The penalty is is dead ball and the closest runner to home plate is now out. In this case the runner at 1st base is now out.

Jun 22, 2008
This play is covered by the rules. The runner is out going to 2nd base per force out. Also per rule a retired runner who draws a throw, interference is now called. The penalty is is dead ball and the closest runner to home plate is now out. In this case the runner at 1st base is now out.

The rule does not say it is interference, it says it may be considered interference. It is the umpires judgement to determine if the situation warrants a call.

Oct 24, 2010
The rule does not say it is interference, it says it may be considered interference. It is the umpires judgement to determine if the situation warrants a call.

Exactly; I'm agreeing. Don't translate "maybe considered" into "always".

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
What section is this in? #?

The applicable ASA rule is 8-7-P: The runner is out....When, after being declared out or scoring, an offensive player interferes with a defensive players opportunity to make a play on another runner. Note: A runner continuting to run and drawing a throw may be considered a form of interference. This does not apply to a batter-runner who is entitled to run on the dropped third stirke rule.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA