43ft pitching rubber

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2010
I live in the south, most of the fields we play at have a 43ft, 40 ft and a 35ft pitching rubber in the circle. Am I the only one that has a problem with this. From 40ft my DD looses footing on 35 ft rubber from her leg drive. From 43ft she drags her toe and catches it on the 40ft rubber. Just curious if the problem is just around here or if others are running into the same thing.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
The rubbers need to be removed. The only one that should be in the ground is the one that is currently being pitched from, or injury could result. You need to talk to someone about this ASAP.

Oct 27, 2009
Your not the only one that's happened to. It happened to my DD the other night. She is 13 yrs old playing in a developmental high school summer league. The fields we play on are also used for younger kids who pitch from 40 feet. My DD is pitching from 43 feet and there is the other rubber at 40. She got thru the game but was bothered by the other rubber all game. When I complained to the league admin he said it was out of his control because it was a county park and that they weren't going to keep taking the 40 foot rubber in and out for every other game.

Dec 19, 2008
When I complained to the league admin he said it was out of his control because it was a county park and that they weren't going to keep taking the 40 foot rubber in and out for every other game.

Bet they do after the first lawsuit due to a pitcher getting drilled by a batted ball when she slips/trips trying to field said batted ball.

May 25, 2010
When I complained to the league admin he said it was out of his control because it was a county park and that they weren't going to keep taking the 40 foot rubber in and out for every other game.

Why, exactly, is neither a coach nor parent taking responsibility for ensuring that the appropriate rubber is used for a given game?

As for the league's part, they're fully capable of scheduling games such that it wouldn't need to be moved every other game.

Jan 30, 2010
Why, exactly, is neither a coach nor parent taking responsibility for ensuring that the appropriate rubber is used for a given game?

As for the league's part, they're fully capable of scheduling games such that it wouldn't need to be moved every other game.
My thought exactly..I wont let my team take warm up unless the field is 100% ready for safe play.

Jan 15, 2009
The answer to multi use fields is to simply put in the farthest back plate and use temporary's when pitching in front of that distance. Part of a 10U coaches equipment bag around here has always been a temporary plate, a tape measure, and a hammer, just can't rely on every park having 35' rubbers, that just needs to trickle up to 12U and 14U. Tournaments should handle this with grounds crew, but for scrimmages and league games coaches can be responsible for making sure field is right.

Oct 19, 2009
Had the exact same thing happen to my DD she walked the first 3 batters; the coach went to check on her and discovered the extra pitching rubber. To make a long story short, we ended up changing fields, and then she struck out the next 3.

The extra pitching rubber was a big hindrance to her and in my estimation very dangerous.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd