43' pitching rule change at 14u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2013
Our TB team played their first tournament this weekend and it seemed to me that the pitching rule change has had a big effect on hitting. I witnessed a larger amount of homeruns being hit than in the past. I am wondering if others have seen this also.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
This is our first season in 14U, so I can't compare fairly to last season, but let's just say that I've seen more HR than I expected to see. I don't know whether it's the 43' or just my underestimation of the power that exists in 14U.

May 31, 2011
Our TB team played their first tournament this weekend and it seemed to me that the pitching rule change has had a big effect on hitting. I witnessed a larger amount of homeruns being hit than in the past. I am wondering if others have seen this also.

I think the hitting is just better at 14U. The extra 3 feet probably contributes some, but I think the girls are just getting bigger, faster, and stronger and more experienced.

A good buddy of mine has coached girls basketball for several years now and tells me that most girls are done growing by the end of their freshman year in school. That (not coincidentally) is the age of a lot of second year 14U players.

Apr 9, 2012
thats what the ruling intended to do.

offense is action and action gets tv time, commercials....money

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
I thought they would be on the "Ocho"!

Isn't that ESPN 8? :)

The hitting is definitely better at 14U - especially the 2nd years. I'm not certain about the 40 vs. 43 feet, since we've had the 43 foot rule in place for a few years. The last time DD pitched at 40 feet was as a 12U. I do know that she has to pitch like a mad bunny and really keep the ball down and on the corners with changes of speed and movement. Anything up will get hit out. I like watching 16's for this reason - the hitters don't look all that great until the pitcher makes a mistake; then the ball is just gone.

Mar 11, 2009
Isn't that ESPN 8? :)

The hitting is definitely better at 14U - especially the 2nd years. I'm not certain about the 40 vs. 43 feet, since we've had the 43 foot rule in place for a few years. The last time DD pitched at 40 feet was as a 12U. I do know that she has to pitch like a mad bunny and really keep the ball down and on the corners with changes of speed and movement. Anything up will get hit out. I like watching 16's for this reason - the hitters don't look all that great until the pitcher makes a mistake; then the ball is just gone.

Thats why they should move the fences back 25', and yes I am a pitchers dad! So what! Most legit homers will clear the extra 25ft, but some of the cheap ones will stay in play.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quickpitch