43 feet

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
This is the argument a father gave me on the 43 change.

He said think of a loaded gun at 40. Lets say averaging 5 true hits a game. ( for example = 5 bullets )

Now think of that same loaded gun at 43. Lets say averaging 8-9 true hits a game. ( for example = 8-9 bullets )

If he had the gun and was blindfolded, and you could stand anywhere on the infield...............how many bullets ( chances and hits ) would you want him to have?

MB, just asking, do you have a DD that pitches? I see a big line drawn between pitching parents and fielding parents on this topic.

Thanks GD.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
This is the argument a father gave me on the 43 change.

He said think of a loaded gun at 40. Lets say averaging 5 true hits a game. ( for example = 5 bullets )

Now think of that same loaded gun at 43. Lets say averaging 8-9 true hits a game. ( for example = 8-9 bullets )

If he had the gun and was blindfolded, and you could stand anywhere on the infield...............how many bullets ( chances and hits ) would you want him to have?

MB, just asking, do you have a DD that pitches? I see a big line drawn between pitching parents and fielding parents on this topic.

Thanks GD.

Im not on any side, just try to see both sides of what we have been dealt. I like 40', I think it can be more challenging and I hate to see that diminished . But many 14U pitchers can throw as fast as 18U, and a lot of hitters can put it out the 200' park too, so why should they play on any different dimensions?

No DD doesnt pitch at current level, but does play very aggressive 3B, and it still doesnt bother me. She wouldnt dream of playing 3B without a mask.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Im not on any side, just try to see both sides of what we have been dealt. I like 40', I think it can be more challenging and I hate to see that diminished . But many 14U pitchers can throw as fast as 18U, and a lot of hitters can put it out the 200' park too, so why should they play on any different dimensions?

No DD doesnt pitch at current level, but does play very aggressive 3B, and it still doesnt bother me. She wouldnt dream of playing 3B without a mask.

3rd is going to be a hot spot too. I have noticed the pitchers that usually batters got around late on, RT going to right- right center, are now getting more left-left center. So please tell your DD to be on her toes.

GD

Mar 23, 2010
DD 11 playing little league softball has been seeing pitching coach for the last year. Her coach has been pitching her off of the 43 foot high school rubber the entire time. She told us from the very beginning that the longer distance would make her stronger. Her coach said the longer the distance she was practicing the better in the long run. It seems to have worked she pitched her first game of the season with 15 strike outs and three walks.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I've made this post on a couple of sites and so, please forgive me if I'm repeating myself. We went to a college showcase last year which was played at 43 feet. We discovered that most other ones were going to be 43 feet. So, we started practicing for that change early. DD actually liked the change. Her drop ball was even better. Naturally, hitters had more time to sit on her fastball which is about 58-59 consistently. However, her change had more room to also drop. Changes like this are what you want to make of it. You can't change the rules. Pitchers are going to have to learn to locate better. They are going to give up more hits. There are also going to be games of double digits. So, it is about adjustments. To be sure I think she has more reaction time. She has been hurt a few times pitching at 40 feet and I've posted enough on that on this site. BTW, dd is now 16 and so, we'll see just how well she fares in HS ball since Illinois is playing 43 feet this spring. Good luck to all making that adjustment.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I agree with you Cannonball. Ohio will move next year. Reaction time to the pitcher. I have seen the studies and the Human mind cannot handle the difference. Keep in mind that Cannonballs dd at that speed. Blink you eye as fast as you can twice. That is how fast the ball gets to the hitter from the K position at 58. Now think of a ball hit back to you. 3 feet makes no difference in terms of how fast the human mind to react. Good pitchers that have movement, will enjoy the 43 feet. Fastball only pitchers will struggle. Bunters and slappers will benefit by having the pitcher 3 feet back. It also changes the angle between the rubber and third for the good slappers. Watch college softball and it will give you an idea of how 43 feet makes a difference. At the JV and Middle school levels it will be a struggle till the learn to pitch.l

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2009
Left Coast
Last year, we went to 43' in Oregon as one of the test sites for the country. As a HS coach at the time, I saw what many here have predicted: good pitchers get better, have more movement, and don't lose much, if any, speed. Moderate pitchers tend to get hit some more. Poor pitchers get shelled, but that's nothing new. I've seen batters get so much stronger and better mechanically over the past few years and that has led to some scary hits--I attribute any increased danger to pitchers and fielders to hotter bats and better hitters much more that pitching distances. Based on the 30 or so HS games I saw at 43' last year, I don't think it's that big a difference--most of the kids I asked over the course of the year said it didn't seem all that different to them. I saw some more offense last year, but not a dramatic change.

My DD is a 14 yo pitcher, and will be in HS next year. She's still throwing at 40', but practices at 43 a lot just to increase her strength and prepare for the switch. Still deciding whether to put her in a mask.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321