43 feet

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Not surprised about this one bit, I suspect that a lot of little league and rec leagues will be moving it back due to the high school move. No need for inconsistency.

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I'm not so sure about the world being a better place. For hitters maybe. I get the whole preparing the kids for college, but these are 13 and 14 year olds. My DD is 14 and throws pretty well. My concern is that she is becoming a target for hitters who get a "little" more time to react while using these high tech missile lanchers being produced these days. I think I need to spend more time on defensive drills. IMO, I think this will hurt the mediocre 13/14 year olds and may affect the desire for young pitchers to carry on their craft beyond 12 years old unless they are among the elite, thereby reducing participation in this great sport.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Most entities will now play by college rules. The world is now a better place.

Most entities will now play by college rules. The world is now a better place.

I think we are pushing young pitchers too fast. ( 10-14 )

My 'college rules' included a drivers license, late night parties, enough beer to float a battleship, practicing baseball 5 days a week with a hangover, and things I shouldn't post on here. My point is, let the kids be kids. I've already seen a few average to below average pitchers ready to throw in the towel at 43'. Soon the number of average pitchers will go down. And the good to great pitchers will have the chance to be overworked and injured.

3DD'sDAD is correct. You will see a reduction in this sport over the next 10 years. I sure hate to see it happen.

This is how I feel about the move to 43'. “Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” ----John Wayne

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Slow pitch pitches from 50 feet and it certainly doesn't improve the safety of the pitcher.

Just because many girls aren't learning to hit, why punish the pitchers that are learning to pitch?

I am a hitting coach, but also coach pitching. I have 1 hitting student for every 25 pitching students that come to me.

So, is the pitching distance being moved to aid the pitcher or the hitter?

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
I'm not so sure about the world being a better place. For hitters maybe. I get the whole preparing the kids for college, but these are 13 and 14 year olds. My DD is 14 and throws pretty well. My concern is that she is becoming a target for hitters who get a "little" more time to react while using these high tech missile lanchers being produced these days. I think I need to spend more time on defensive drills. IMO, I think this will hurt the mediocre 13/14 year olds and may affect the desire for young pitchers to carry on their craft beyond 12 years old unless they are among the elite, thereby reducing participation in this great sport.

Didnt your daughter just gain more reaction time? This move was about protecting the pitcher. Im pretty sure that any pitcher that can throw 40 ft can throw 43. But you are right, more time for the batter = slower pitchers become less effective.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Didnt your daughter just gain more reaction time? This move was about protecting the pitcher. Im pretty sure that any pitcher that can throw 40 ft can throw 43. But you are right, more time for the batter = slower pitchers become less effective.

Lets be honest MB. Reaction time now goes to the batter. Reactions from a pitch at say 50-65 mph are advantage batter at 43'. Reactions return speed 70-95 mph towards pitcher are not good with more being hit.

In college I could throw 90-92 fastball. I promise that you would see no advantage me throwing directly at you from 40 and then 43 . ( Same scenario for hit return speeds softball ) May sound good but in reality very very very little reaction difference.

How can this be about protecting the pitcher when across the country in NFHS tests more balls are being hit. The protection was at 40'. Less balls hit.

JMHO

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
I think if you do the math, you will find that the pitcher gain about 8% in reaction time for a 58mph pitch,with a returning 90mph hit delivered from 36 ft, 39ft respectively .

No arguement that more hits may be had, and more could therefore come back at her, but she does have more time to protect herself. Just might need to do so more frequently.

Oct 19, 2009
My daughter has had 5 balls hit hard back to her, at 43 feet this year, and had to be taken out of one game being hit above the ankle. She is 15 she has pitched 8 games this year. She had maybe 3 or 4 balls hit to her all last year all but 1 or 2 were soft hit balls. Maybe just luck so far, but an increase.

I read some where that, if I remember correct, each foot is like 3 MPH in reaction time for the bater. Moving the mound 3 foot back that's 9 MPH if that si correct.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA