4-Days to Hit the FastBall Help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 2, 2013
Little can be done in 4 days.

Try to shorten the swing. Consider a light bat. When young, and before DD learned how to effectively time different speeds, she carried and used two different weight bats. A heavy one for the slow pitchers, and a lighter one for fast pitchers.

Granted, it was only a stop gap measure. But served her well until she was able to mentally adjust to different pitching speeds.

Every team and player goes through this when moving up in ages. Typically, that is what fall ball is for. Use the fall season to adjust to faster pitching of next springs older age groups. It typically take half the fall season, or more to make the adjustment.

Other techniques I have seen coaches use is to bunt more, or focus initially on getting contact to put the ball in play.

Another thing our team has done, though hard to find and pull off. Get a older, perhaps HS pitcher to pitch batting practice. Almost all these older pitchers can groove the ball for strikes at 50 mph or so and let the youngsters hack away.

Last edited:

moe

Aug 14, 2013
Front toss from 20' or so - coach throwing hard (or live BP with older kid). Works every time. I like drop toss too though - keeps the hands moving quick through the zone. I like the quick stik with wiffle golf balls too. Hand - Eye - Ball.

Our hitting coach says - keep the swings short (not long and linerar), attack from the top and NEVER drop your hands.

I cant count how many times kids watch a fast pitcher warm up and go "dang she is fast' and beat themselves before they even get to the plate.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2014
Front toss from 20' or so - coach throwing hard (or live BP with older kid). Works every time. I like drop toss too though - keeps the hands moving quick through the zone. I like the quick stik with wiffle golf balls too. Hand - Eye - Ball.

Our hitting coach says - keep the swings short (not long and linerar), attack from the top and NEVER drop your hands.

I cant count how many times kids watch a fast pitcher warm up and go "dang she is fast' and beat themselves before they even get to the plate.

I know not everyone is a fan but the quick stick and golf-whiffle balls excellent tool that gets over looked.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd