3B Coverage on a Bunt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 9, 2011
A question??? Now just wondering so don't go crazy on me.... lol.. if you have pitchers and outfielders covering bases how much time in practice do you work your pitchers and outfielders on base work... tag work???

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
The reasoning is not that the pitcher may get hurt, that is an additional benefit. Your SS, and all your players should move to the ball. If she is moving to the ball where is she closest to with bunt down third?. I honestly think your are just being ingorant on purpose because I do not see how it is hard to find merits in this coverage.
You can call it dirty coaching, it probably is, but I do know coaches that when they see your coverage. They will be going after your pitcher at third. How deep is your bullpen?

Like I said I don't really care what coverage you run, I have ran many different ones depending upon skill level. I said how I do my coverage. I think when you get into the older ages your going to find serious holes in that coverage though. I look at it as the pitcher is another player, sure she has a special gift, but still, she is 1 of 9 and if she can't play the game.... I have never seen a player go from 1st to 3rd just to try and take out the pitcher....

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
A question??? Now just wondering so don't go crazy on me.... lol.. if you have pitchers and outfielders covering bases how much time in practice do you work your pitchers and outfielders on base work... tag work???

Yes we do. We do have a called play where our LF covers 3B on a SAC bunt hopefully to draw the runner from 2nd to go to 3rd. Like I said 0 runners attempted 3rd off a SAC bunt (when fielded cleanly and getting the out at 1st), they are more of a deterrent at that point.

Jun 7, 2011
Central Iowa
At what age, 8U???! If my infielders can't make that throw, they're no longer infielders. That's at 12U

Oh, that's funny, and crass. It's 16u.

Yeah, one wouldn't expect to find an aggressive runner anywhere but 8u

In my experience, most 16 yo's can consistantly make that throw. Sounds like you may have a few girls that are kind of new to the gm, or maybe just late bloomers.
If these girls are just playing for exercise, or to have fun, then by all means experiment with it. But if some of them have hopes to play at a higher level, maybe their varsity hs, then its important for them to learn the coverages they're going to need at that level. Repetition is the key.

Dec 3, 2008
@Easton

"Runner on 1st and 2nd, does not show inconsistencies. It is a force out and she has to be on third for the bunt, that's her job there." If a force out at the lead base is the SS's #1 priority on a bunt in your philosophy, then it would follow she would cover 2B on a bunt with a runner on 1B in order to keep it consistent.

"The only throw not backed up is a 3rd to 2nd throw in case the runner turns around. 2nd and right should be coming over to support. " Agree that this throw probably would be backed up by the RF since the timing to get there is enough with the ball going from 1st to 3rd to 2nd. I have another question about back ups with your team in that situation since, on a bunt, the CF is covering 2B. Are those fielding the bunt instructed to throw to 1B no matter what or do they have the option to go after the lead runner? Because if CF is covering, there will be no back up on that initial throw.

I'm not being argumentative for the sake of arguing, so I hope you won't take it as such. Just presenting a counter argument because I enjoy talking shop with other people who enjoy thinking the game. Also, I'm a big fan of using the the defense with 1B back and 2B covering the steal in many situations, as you mentioned.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2013
Ok, that was talking about runners on 1 and 2 with bunt going down first baseline and if you are looking for a reason to make this consistent for SS. I can't. On the bunt show SS has to cover 3rd regardless of bunt direction. Why? Because it is a different situation. We were discussing the one play but you want me to give you a basis and/or method to follow to show consistency in other plays. Follow the ball doesn't apply in bunts to all defenders in all situations, never represented it did.

They can throw to first but this is, IMO, a low percentage throw. In other words unless the runner trips and falls, they better get the sure out. If a throw is comes down to 2, CF does have limited backup with LF. Which is ok for a fielded ball from 1st baseline to P but leaves you vulnerable on a third baseman to second throw. Which is completely fine because I am in favor of telling a third baseman to always throw to 1st. (She is crashing and it is a huge shift in momentum to throw back to second). LF is moving that way to cover potential throw from P, 1ST baseman, and second on first. The weakest area would be Center Right.

Apr 8, 2010
We started having 1st base stay back and just have the catcher and 3rd base be our primary bunt coverage. Pitcher would take the hard bunt back up the middle or up 1st base line. We've also at times had 2nd base come way up if it's a must out situation. Runner on 2nd, I generally have SS cover 3rd and 2nd stay home, but have at times had SS play the bunt on that side so 3rd can cover the bag (I don't really like this, but if the runner has been getting a really big jump I might consider this tact).

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
We started having 1st base stay back and just have the catcher and 3rd base be our primary bunt coverage. Pitcher would take the hard bunt back up the middle or up 1st base line. We've also at times had 2nd base come way up if it's a must out situation. Runner on 2nd, I generally have SS cover 3rd and 2nd stay home, but have at times had SS play the bunt on that side so 3rd can cover the bag (I don't really like this, but if the runner has been getting a really big jump I might consider this tact).

I've always been intrigued by having the first-baseman stay back and even have the second-baseman position between 1B and the pitching circle.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Oh, that's funny, and crass. It's 16u.

Yeah, one wouldn't expect to find an aggressive runner anywhere but 8u

At 16U if you have Ps and 3Bs forgetting responsibilities and 2Bs who can't throw consistently to 3B, then you have more important things you should be working on than gimmicky bunt coverages. Unless its rec ball and you're just playing for fun and exercise.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
At 16U if you have Ps and 3Bs forgetting responsibilities and 2Bs who can't throw consistently to 3B, then you have more important things you should be working on than gimmicky bunt coverages. Unless its rec ball and you're just playing for fun and exercise.

So having the SS cover 3B because there will seldom be a throw to 2B in this situation is "gimmicky," but having the pitcher or third-baseman peel back and cover 3B isn't? Who is it that gets to decide what's a "gimmick" and what isn't?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish