3 weeks of fall ball, 3 players have quit my team...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I don't set the fees, what is due, or when it is due. I do know that we have the lowest team fees that I have ever heard of for any travel team in our area.

Believe it or not, the fees being low make it easier for a parent to pull their DD. One weekend where littel Suzy doesn't play where the parents expected her to play and they can walk away. With lower fees, comes less commitment financially. You can walk away from $100 investment. Make it $500 and now they need to spend some time and actually try and communicate with the coach. Could have something to do with it.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I'm sorry to say this, but I personally don't think fees should have anything to do with it. Either the parents are responsible people and teach their DD that if they truly want to play then they have to work hard and earn their place and playing time or they aren't. If they aren't, then you don't need them in your immediate softball family. If they are, then they wouldn't have let their DD quit. As for outfield positions in the 10u division, I explain it to my players in a positive manner. I tell them that although they may not get many balls to field, they will usually see at least one or two per game. I also tell them that the reason they are playing there is because I need some of my best speed and gloves in those positions to not only field those one or two balls but to do one of the most important jobs in softball...backing up the infield for an overthrow and stopping the runner from advancing. We practiced this religously and my outfielders not only didn't gripe or quit, but came to relish their roles.
In our 12u division, our players routinely hit the ball to the outfield and this is where they really came into their own. Now they can't wait to get out there to catch a fly ball or field a line drive up the middle.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
At the 12u and 14u level the outfield becomes a game changer.More balls get hit out to the outfield.Girls that are still playing at this age can and will hit the balls in the outfield wether its in the air or on the ground.For my DD team this has became the difference of us winning a game or losing.It takes all 9 plus girls to win.

Oct 1, 2011
Believe it or not, the fees being low make it easier for a parent to pull their DD. One weekend where littel Suzy doesn't play where the parents expected her to play and they can walk away. With lower fees, comes less commitment financially. You can walk away from $100 investment. Make it $500 and now they need to spend some time and actually try and communicate with the coach. Could have something to do with it.

I think it's $300.00 total and 4 or 6 hours of volunteer work. Again, I have nothing to do with the team fees, how much they are or when they are due. I just coach.

Oct 5, 2011
I think that in 12u or younger this happens a lot. I call it the weeding process, you dont see this happening often at the 16-18 age groups, by then they know if they really want to play or not. So dont take it personal its just part of the process. Sounds like you have done your job! I dont think I could go back and coach that age group again. I admire you that do!!

Jun 22, 2010
I thought about just putting 6 in the infield for the 1st inning of our 1st game tomorrow and then when the umpire says something I could loudly proclaim "What? You mean I have to play someone in the outfield???"
Off topic, I know, but . . . what would you expect the umpire to say? I wouldn't say anything but "batter up."

Oct 1, 2011
I know you're used to working MLB games and you missed that what is being discussed is a 12u team that is playing in a fall league. It's more or less glorified scrimmages. Ironically the team we were playing Sunday didn't send their left fielder out late in game 2. Blue asked them what was going on, there was some commotion in the dug out before the girl finally trotted out to her spot with a big smile on her face. Everyone got a good laugh out of it, it was fun times for us little folk.

Are you working the AL or NL championship series?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
If you are coaching, don't you owe it to your players to know the rules of each of the sanctioning bodies governing your teams games? Maybe not inside out like an umpire, but certainly well enough to instruct and advise your players properly (and not embarass yourself)? FWIW, as long as they're in fair territory, you can position all your fielders in the IF, OF, RF etc.

Oct 1, 2011
If you are coaching, don't you owe it to your players to know the rules of each of the sanctioning bodies governing your teams games? Maybe not inside out like an umpire, but certainly well enough to instruct and advise your players properly (and not embarass yourself)? FWIW, as long as they're in fair territory, you can position all your fielders in the IF, OF, RF etc.

Uh,,, yeah. Here are the "rules" that we got from the "sanctioning body" that is "governing" our "games."

The league will play its games as double headers – 7 innings or 1 hour 15 minutes no new inning.

The league will run from September 11 - October 9 (5 weeks)

Games will be played on Sundays at 1:00 pm and 2:40 pm.

The league will schedule games & umpires.

Teams must have a home field, home team will provide game balls and pay for umpires.

League Champs will be crowned based on league standings per the Spring League points scoring system.

A 12 year old girl didn't report to left field late in game 2 of a glorified scrimmage, no one noticed but Blue and he said something. I'm not sure why her coaches should feel emberassed about it.

I might feel emberassed if I was online talking about it like it's the Women's College World Series. Do you?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd