3 weeks of fall ball, 3 players have quit my team...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
My advice would be to question the parents further. You say they gave you reasons, but you don't believe them. Why not tell them that? In a tactful way, of course. Why not say, "You say you're concerned about the time commitment, but does it have anything to do with what positions she's playing in the field?'' It sounds like you're defending your coaching philosophy to us, but is anyone on the team actually questioning it? Shouldn't you confirm that this is really the issue?

My only other thought is that anytime someone goes from rec ball to travel ball, it's always on a trial basis. Until they've done travel ball, they really don't know what they're getting into, so the mid-season dropout rate is a little higher than a veteran travel ball player. Sometimes the reaction is, 'Wow, I never realized it was all this time and work.' ...
Do you think interrogating the parents who quit is a good use of time? They've already checked out. They have their reasons and they don't have to explain themselves to anyone. I wouldn't waste my time, because the reasons they left are not nearly as important as the reasons all the other players are staying.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
This is great!! I just had a dad chew out my team mom asking for his comp committment fee back based on what is going on in fall ball. Here is the deal, she has all the top shelf equipment, her dad helps out at practice and for some reason in his eyes this means his daughter should be the starting shortstop and starting pitcher despite the fact that she missed both practices this week, and refuses to do anything the coaches tell her.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I'm a bit confused, and could use a bit more information. Is this a TB team or a rec team? What were the fees you collected at the beginning of the year? Usually the parents on a TB team have paid in a sizable deposit to be a part of the team, so walking away like this early is a pretty big deal and would have to be a result of a major unfixable problem. If they have made a financial investment to be part of the team, I would think the parents would give it more time. On the other hand, if they were just coming out to see what it was like, and made no sort of commitment, it's not painful to just walk away for any reason like "it's taking too much time".

Oct 1, 2011
All leagues have a limit, either 2 (obviously not in this case) or 3 hit batters, and I would have let it get to the limit first.

My other point was to talk to her, see if you could help her, and talk to her about where the batters were standing. Just getting sent to the outfield without anything further is rough for a 12u.

I don't think the league we are in has a limit on batters hit. I'll check, but I don't remember reading it.

And what is wrong with pulling a girl out of the circle and then playing her in left field if your plans are to use her as a pitcher and an outfielder? Should I have played her in a spot that she has never played in before because the time in the circle didn't go so well?

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2011
Next year, require a larger up front deposit. More like $200. That will deter this from happening, and you will have parents less likely to walk from $200. They will have to teach their daughters about growth at that point. I'd also enter the season letting everyone know, they will be spending time about new positions and cite them, as well as the wooden position.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Do you think interrogating the parents who quit is a good use of time? They've already checked out. They have their reasons and they don't have to explain themselves to anyone. I wouldn't waste my time, because the reasons they left are not nearly as important as the reasons all the other players are staying.

I didn’t advise an interrogation. I’m just saying that if I’m going to spend time defending or questioning my coaching philosophy, I want to make sure the events that triggered that process are real. If a coach is concerned that parents are not leveling with him, then check it out. That’s all. No interrogation, maybe just a gentle question. Curious minds want to know. And this is a curious case – three players leave, all allegedly giving bogus reasons. But if the coach is sure of their reasons and is just venting about their lack of full disclosure, then that’s another issue. No follow-up needed.

As for players who leave, I believe their reasons for leaving are important to know. The reasons are usually pretty straight-forward and don’t require discussion. But it’s feedback that can make me a better coach. The players I’ve lost have taught me a lot.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
It's a travel team. $50.00 "commitment fee" due right away, balance of team fees due sometime after the 1st of the year.

How much are your team fees? Due after the 1st of the year (as in January?!)? How many players? I'd have to say that it seems you've played quite a bit of softball if you've only asked for $50 each, and certainly made it easy for players to walk away if they are unhappy. Make sure you sit down with your remaining families and get more of a commitment ($$) from the players you have left, otherwise you may be looking at the tip of the iceberg of players quitting.

Oct 1, 2011
I don't set the fees, what is due, or when it is due. I do know that we have the lowest team fees that I have ever heard of for any travel team in our area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1