3 balls, 1 strike, Whats your pitching plan?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2022
I think if I wanted to walk them I'd have given them a pass right from the get-go.

At 3 balls, and we already established that we don't want a walk, I would have the next two pitches be high percentage chance of a strike without throwing a meatball down the middle. Average middle school pitcher, I would want something that is high percentage, but something more likely to cause a dinker or pop-up if it's hit. I'm new to all this and we don't call pitches at this point, so maybe that all is a bad idea, but I like to accept reality and do my best to minimize the damage.

We did an automatic walk on a kid that had homered on us her first time up. We were down like 6 runs. There was 1 on base, and two out if I recall correctly. In that case, we were less concerned about the type of hit she would get, and more concerned about our pitcher's confidence level if she gave up another bomb or big damage hit. She had struck out the first 4 batters initially, but that homerun was hit the next time around by their #1. We figured it was worth a shot to let two players be on base and see if she could strike out #2 a second time. She had already lost velocity (which for her is a direct result of confidence level) and was on the brink of the wheels falling off. At six runs down, we felt it was our best shot at getting out of the inning and keeping her off the edge of the cliff.

It didn't work. The #2 hitter got a hit, and she proceeded to melt down anyway and do something like 2 walks/1 hit a few times until they were up 12-1. We brought in my daughter, who generally walks 1-2 per game and throws mid 60% strikes, and she proceeded to walk four straight, throwing exactly one strike the whole time.

It was in that game that I realized the power of chanting and taunting an opponent when it's done consistently. Those girls were relentless. It usually doesn't bother my daughter. She's new to pitching this year, but positivity is her super power. She'll even dance to the chanting if she likes the cadence of it--even when losing badly.

It never stopped for a single second when we were on the field though, which is not something we'd seen all year. Our starter made it two innings, and my kid was defeated before she even threw her walk-on warmups.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
In an era where hitting bomb shots over the wall are inherent to the game of fastpitch.
Game Changer Monster Crushers
are in the lineup...
One of these steps in the box...

What's your game plan on 3-1 count?

Are you going to go right at them?
Are you going to try and beat them on the edge of the strike zone area?
Are you going to give them something they might be able to reach but might be a very large hitting adjustment but not a strike?
Or
Just throw something that would mostly be untouchable. If they chose to go for it that would be swinging at something almost wildly out of Strike Zone consideration.

What do you think?
? is it better to give up a walk or chance a crushing mash and go with the odds on defense?

* add your game score scenario if needed.
Depends a lot on the game situation. Bases loaded, no one on, runners at 2nd and third???

Score?

Typically though at 3-1 a change up is good because the batter is probably dead red looking for something middle middle. Throw that change to the bottom of the zone and hope she isn’t sitting on the change.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
There is no "one size fits all" answer to the question. Here are some factors.

1. The score.
2. The hitter.
3. The on-deck hitter.
4. The number of outs.
5. The inning.
6. The umpire.

If the score is 10-0 with no one on base, put it in the red. If the score is 0-0 in the 7th with the bases loaded, put it in the red.

If the score is 1-0 and it is the #4 hitter, try to go inside...either low inside or inside at the hands. An aggressive hitter will likely swing at a high inside pitch.

If the score is 1-0 with the #8 hitter up, go inside, but catch more of the plate. She is batting 8th for a reason.

Change-ups would be good against a good hitter, but never throw a change to the #8 batter.

If the catcher or pitcher have been attentive during the game, they should know a flaw in the umpire's strike zone--that is, a pitch that the umpire might call a strike which really isn't a strike. Time to go there.

(Had a situation where the umpire would call a high outside pitch a strike. Didn't throw that pitch until the end of the game when we needed it, and got the backwards-K.)

Attachments

• hitting-chart.JPG
    hitting-chart.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 22

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
If the catcher or pitcher have been attentive during the game, they should know a flaw in the umpire's strike zone--that is, a pitch that the umpire might call a strike which really isn't a strike. Time to go there.

(Had a situation where the umpire would call a high outside pitch a strike. Didn't throw that pitch until the end of the game when we needed it, and got the backwards-K.)
Ohhh attentive strategy!

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Ok good for you. My comment wasn’t a condemnation of your post.
Haaa must of got to you that I said yes in agreement of variables! 😂

You were a pitcher, did you have a go-to-pitch 3-1 with a monster Crusher at bat?. Did you change your go to pitch pending Runners on base or the score?

Jan 28, 2017
Score, hitter, is 1st open, pitcher, zone, next batter, field size and age, speed of the batter, number of outs, and probably many more.

Jun 8, 2016
Haaa must of got to you that I said yes in agreement of variables! 😂

You were a pitcher, did you have a go-to-pitch 3-1 with a monster Crusher at bat?. Did you change your go to pitch pending Runners on base or the score?
I stopped pitching in HS..222 years ago. Honestly by that point my arm always hurt me (and stayed that way till I stopped playing) so I was probably just happy that I reached the plate..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles