3 balls, 1 strike, Whats your pitching plan?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
In an era where hitting bomb shots over the wall are inherent to the game of fastpitch.
Game Changer Monster Crushers
are in the lineup...
One of these steps in the box...

What's your game plan on 3-1 count?

Are you going to go right at them?
Are you going to try and beat them on the edge of the strike zone area?
Are you going to give them something they might be able to reach but might be a very large hitting adjustment but not a strike?
Or
Just throw something that would mostly be untouchable. If they chose to go for it that would be swinging at something almost wildly out of Strike Zone consideration.

What do you think?
? is it better to give up a walk or chance a crushing mash and go with the odds on defense?

* add your game score scenario if needed.

May 27, 2013
I always love for a pitcher to be able to throw a changeup on 3-0, 3-1, or 3-2 count. Typically not expected with 3 balls. Then come back with a rise or curve.

Dec 11, 2010
Most of the time… here is my plan:

Don’t let the other team’s best player beat you.

Put her on first. If you are going to give her the opportunity to get herself out, you better be damn careful.

I‘m talking NCAA here where you absolutely know who is who.

With a team like OK, you don’t have a way to do this. Obviously.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Too many variables involved to give one answer
Yes variables!
it's because of the variables that I did not pigeonhole the direction of the topic.
To bring out different strategies in different variables or if that mattered to some or not in their pitching approach.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
For me, it depends upon several factors. What is the score of the game? What are my pitcher's abilities? How many runners are on base? What is the umpire's zone for that day? Who is on deck?

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
General answer….If blue has been giving it to her, I like DD to go low outside there. Enough to catch the plate for the strike. Her FB has some drop to it so, even if a hitter decides to swing on it, there isn’t a ton of risk for damage. She gets a lot of fouls this way. Or they won’t swing at all as they’re hoping for ball-4 or something more middle-in knowing there’s only one strike.

This is at 14u B. So take it as you will.

Jun 8, 2016
Here is a general rule…don’t throw the ball down the middle on any count above 12u and if you are able to do that often and get away with it find better competition..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00