2B coverage of 1B on a bunt question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2010
When 2B covers 1B on a bunt should they be playing it as if they're are the first basemen - i.e they should have their right foot on the bag (for a righty) or should they just get to the bag and get the foot on that's closest - the left since they don't have a lot of time to set themselves due to all the moving parts.

Jul 26, 2010
2b doesn't break to first base until the ball is actually bunted, incase of a fake or a push. When they reach first base, they should set up in a way that is most successful for the given play, IE foot on the bag and ready to stretch towards the fielder throwing them the ball. It's impossible to stretch towards the ball unless the opposite foot from the glove side is on the bag.

-W

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I'm of the opinion that due to the batter/runner they need to give as big a target as possible, If the 1st baseman is covering the bunt she will be throwing right up the line. By putting the left foot on the bag all of her should be visible to the fielder making the throw.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Right foot on bag. She needs to be prepared to stretch, just like the first baseman. My DD plays 2nd base and I can't tell you how many times her stretching has made the difference between safe and out, especially on throws from 1st. Most 2nd basemen are quick enough to get to the bag to set up properly.

Feb 3, 2011
My middle infielders have the best feet on the field. I expect them to be properly positioned in time to make a play.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
What if the bunt is to the right side down the line, should second baseman covering the bag have her left foot on the side of the bag to give the 1st baseman fielding the bunt the biggest target possible and so as not to hit the batter/baserunner running to 1B on the throw?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
As a first baseman, all I ever cared about was that the 2nd baseman got there. I was taught to underhand toss the ball to the bag, not the 2nd baseman. She would basket catch and either travel on across the bag in front of the runner or hit the bag with either foot and bounce off.

Jul 26, 2010
Amy makes a great point, for bang-bang plays, the ball isn't thrown to a fielder, it's thrown/tossed to the correct location on the field, it is the fielders job to make the play, and the back-up's job to make sure extra bases aren't given up if the play is not made.

Think of it like a catcher throwing to 2b for the steal. Catcher's don't throw to the fielder, they throw just in front of the bag so the play can be made when the fielder arrives.

-W

Nov 1, 2009
The correct answer is the left foot. As you get older there is only a single bag and if you are running to get into position and use the left foot it means you are in the path of the runner. If the ball is to third then you could change and and field it as you would normally but for anything around the plate the angle is the key and of course practice the play a lot.

Fuel for thought. It has been mentioned that you stretch with the foot opposite the glove which is okay but it isn't so you can reach farther, it is so your leg isn't in the way of the throw. Go out and see which way you can reach the farthest you may be surprised.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes