24 hrs and still disgusted with our coachs call WHY with our 4 best hitters up!!!!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

catcher23

all softball
Jun 4, 2013
new york , flordia
hi everyone , tell me what u would of done with 2 games away for a shot at the state title!!!!!!
its the bottom of the 7th and we r down by 1 , 1st hitter up w/ batting avg 421 hits hard grounder to ss error ! no outs runner on 1st , next up is my dd with avg. 484 , 1st pitch she fouls off hard to the back stop! , then a ball , catcher throws to 1st and hits our girl in the helment and she is out cool and not moving , few minute she gets up and the coaches put the fastest runner on that was pulled up from JV !!!! my dd next pitch lays down a bunt down , she out at first but the runner is now at 2nd & we have 1 out. Next up our DH w/ avg 523 , first pitch ball, 2nd ball !!!
2-0 the next pitch she starts to square and lays down a BUNT !!!! 3rd base throws to 1st 2 OUT. the girl at 2nd rounds 3rd hesitates and gets thrown out at home.!!!!!!!! the part that in cant understand???? our next girl
up next W/ avg 4.71 just missed the fence her last time up by foot!!!

any one of of those hitter could and would of made it happen!!!
we had our best hitters up!!!! 4 hitters w/ batting avgs 4.21- 5.23 that's AWSOME !!!! WHAT WAS THE COACH THINKING !!!! runner at 2nd and 1 out hit ,hit! and with the DH with 500 +avg. and next girl went to the fence last time!
!! in the car ride home I said why did u bunt ? she said coach give 1 pitch mom, I fouled it off and then I had to bunt her to 2nd ! i'm fine with my dd did her job!!! but bunt the DH and send the runner at 2nd home!!!! and it was over 3 outs .!!!! and we still had 2 more power hitters up !!!
after the game my dd had travel practice and she took the lose like champ but I just want to tell coach!! that she pounded 7 over fence at 250 ft right after that COACHING DISGUST !!!!!! She ask to hit away but no !!!!

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Bunting the girl the 2nd may have made sense to get tying run in scoring position; bunting the girl to 3rd with one out was stupid unless the girl up had a great average beacuse of her great wheels and she gets a lot of bunt singles. Don't know what else to tell you.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Who knows, the SAC Bunt to get the runner to 2nd... good call. The bunt to move her to 3rd???? I don't know unless the pitcher/catcher had a lot of PB/WP and the coach thought she could score.

Yeah I don't think anyone is going to question moving the runner over....congrats to your DD for putting down the bunt and getting the runner over. After that pretty much a mess, I was just talking over with our HC for All Stars about bunting and playing small ball and I reminded him of this exact same scenario...don't try and out coach yourself...if you ever find yourself thinking I should bunt our 3,4 or 5 hitters just WAKE UP and SNAP OUT OF IT.

Crazy Softball Guy

Casual Observer
May 31, 2013
If the runner rounding 3rd base came around and scored on that play, the coach would be praised for a savvy and gutsy call. Instead, he's chastised for his decision. Such is the life of a softball coach. Who knows what the reasoning was behind the calls? Maybe it was to catch the other team off guard. Nothing is guaranteed, so you can't say for certainty what the outcome would have been had he elected to have them hit away. I'm sure he feels as bad as anyone that they didn't win. It looks like your DD was on a good team, and the coach had gotten them to a level where they were capable of having a shot at a state title. Unfortunately, things didn't work out the way you wanted them to. Someone has to win and someone has to lose. I would say instead of dwelling on it, say thanks to the coach for a good season and move on.

Probably not what I would have done with those particular hitters but I do subscribe to the philosophy of pressuring the defense with speed on the bases. With the speed of some of these girls, a defense almost has to be perfect to get them out if the offensive sequence is executed correctly.

If the pinch runner is that fast, I simply can't argue with trying it, even if it didn't work out. Any of the big hitters could have just as easily popped up, struck out or hit a come-backer as put one over the fence.

Hindsight is 20/20, so this coach was wrong. If the base runner doesn't hesitate or the defense made a bad throw, then he's a genius. Outcome is the only mitigating factor here.

Mar 11, 2013
Jackson, MS
Was it a sneaky bunt?

If so, he's thinking he has wheels on second and can put the run in her feet. She leaves on the pitch and is around third by the time 3 has the ball and the corners aren't up for the bunt. 4 chances for errors in a pressure situation vs chances of fly outs. Catch defense off guard

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Would need a bit more information about the specific game situation. Even though your hitters have had high season averages, how were they doing against this particular pitcher? In the state quarter finals, you're not facing a kid who probably gives up a lot. What was the score? 1-0? 2-1? If the line up has done little against this pitcher, moving the runner to 2B is the right move. The next bunt call depends on how you think THIS hitter will fair against THIS pitcher at that time, not something that is necessarily based on season averages. If you think you want to try something aggressive and catch the defense sleeping, I don't necessarily think that's a bad move. So long as the coach owned the decision and did not place the blame on anyone else, I'm OK with it.

catcher23

all softball
Jun 4, 2013
new york , flordia
my dd team is a great team no thanks to high school coaches on this team .the call was made by parent who's dd plays and she is great freshmen pitcher but he never should of been coaching 3rd he never coached anything but asst at 12u travel and the head coach is a teacher. and played hs ball that's it! my dd high school team r young and still few yrs left of school ball my dd is a freshman, the whole team is softmores and freshmen, 3 seniors& 1 only plays . we need to start finding better coaching at the high school level. every single member of this hs team is playing travel ball, some play more competitive but it the parents that made these kids the team they r and we get dad and teacher to lead then to next season !!!!! the combo that was up starting with my dd have won 12 games in to two years of the team they r the closer !!!! same thing last year we where down 3 in semi finals and my dd hit a triple tied up and the same DH scored her in top of 7 taking the lead but coach pulled in the OF and over the head the ball went solo homer lost again

Aug 24, 2011
why don't you coach?

my dd team is a great team no thanks to high school coaches on this team .the call was made by parent who's dd plays and she is great freshmen pitcher but he never should of been coaching 3rd he never coached anything but asst at 12u travel and the head coach is a teacher. and played hs ball that's it! my dd high school team r young and still few yrs left of school ball my dd is a freshman, the whole team is softmores and freshmen, 3 seniors& 1 only plays . we need to start finding better coaching at the high school level. every single member of this hs team is playing travel ball, some play more competitive but it the parents that made these kids the team they r and we get dad and teacher to lead then to next season !!!!! the combo that was up starting with my dd have won 12 games in to two years of the team they r the closer !!!! same thing last year we where down 3 in semi finals and my dd hit a triple tied up and the same DH scored her in top of 7 taking the lead but coach pulled in the OF and over the head the ball went solo homer lost again

You seem to have all of the answers. Why don't you throw your hat in the ring?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors