2020 Olympics Threatened by COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
So doesn't it figure? Softball finally makes its way back into the Olympics and now they may end up being cancelled by the COVID-19 (coronavirus) outbreak.

You can see why they might. You have hundreds of the world's best athletes all convening in one place. If just one of them is carrying the virus and starts contaminating others the effect could be catastrophic - and a huge black eye for both Japan and the IOC.

Let's hope by the time the Olympics roll around COVID-19 is just a bad memory. It would be a shame for softball to not get this opportunity to return to the world stage, especially since there's a good chance it may not make it into the program for 2024.

Jun 23, 2019
New Hampshire
Took a trip to Clearwater a few weeks back with my DD and we watched team USA play Mississippi state we were looking forward to the Olympics. Came home and both of us got really sick just getting over it now! The lady’s of USA looked awesome!! USA USA USA

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
No one wants to see the games cancelled, but the reality is that come "go/no go" time if COVID-19 has progressed to the point where the games do have to be cancelled, I'm guessing we'll all be worrying about other things.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I think there were a lot of doubters when I started this thread originally. But unfortunately my concern was well-founded.

Good news is they're not cancelled - just postponed. So softball will still have its triumphant return to the Olympic games. Just not this year.

Sep 29, 2014
Will be slightly dispruptive for softball but for lots of other sports they will have to revamp their qualifying and probably all re-qualify so the US has the most competitive team there will be lots of heartbreak of people that qualified for 2020 but because it slipped a year didn't qualify the second time around.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13