2 Steps forward, 1 step back

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 23, 2014
I just wanted to get some feedback on how you guys manage rebuilding a swing. My DD and I started on this journey with a lot of help from you guys back in July. She is in a much better place overall with her swing so progress is being made. What I'm finding more and more is that when we try and focus on something specific to improve, something else slips. She had a big hit and a good tournament 2 weeks ago and since then she's struggled. Her swing is looking longer and she's pulling her head up which is dropping her hands. It shouldn't be too difficult to tune that back up but what do you guys do to manage this? I'd like to move in to more advanced stuff like a$$/bb, FBC, etc. but I don't want her to lose what she's worked so hard on already.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
It's a constant process of refinement - bigger stuff now, tiny things when they're hitting bombs in college. Keep working at it. 2 steps forward and 1 step back is still a step ahead of where she was. Keep taking steps forward, and look at progress long term.

For me, I had to make an adjustment in my instruction approach. My tendency is to throw EVERYTHING out there all at once. It's frustrating and overwhelming, especially for younger players. Find a focus (i.e. using top hand swivel to whip the barrel), and stick with it until the lesson starts settling in and becoming their new pattern. Reminders about other issues or previous lesson along the way are okay if you see things breaking down (i.e. "keep your head down"), but keep the main focus on the current issue.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
You might try taking some video to show her what she's doing and what you are referring to when making adjustments. this helps them understand what is happening because she may not "feel" it. it also helps to have video when it is working too.
Eric's tip on focused and limited corrections help too.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
It's a constant process of refinement - bigger stuff now, tiny things when they're hitting bombs in college. Keep working at it. 2 steps forward and 1 step back is still a step ahead of where she was. Keep taking steps forward, and look at progress long term.

For me, I had to make an adjustment in my instruction approach. My tendency is to throw EVERYTHING out there all at once. It's frustrating and overwhelming, especially for younger players. Find a focus (i.e. using top hand swivel to whip the barrel), and stick with it until the lesson starts settling in and becoming their new pattern. Reminders about other issues or previous lesson along the way are okay if you see things breaking down (i.e. "keep your head down"), but keep the main focus on the current issue.

2n9hwd4.gif

1548qo9.gif

2vi1736.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves