2 questions for experienced dads

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2012
1) What was the drill or technique that worked the best to help your daughter develop a consistent change-up. My daughter continues to struggle with command on her changeup.

2) For you, what drill or practice routine ( outside of improving mechanics ) that helped improve velocity.

My daughter is 15, 6'0 tall, has a nice curve, throws the rise and her top speed pitches are upper 50s. She goes to a good coach but I'm always looking for things that will help.

Sep 21, 2010
corinth,tx
my daughter is the same size and is 14 she had a lot of trouble with cu till we saw a different pc. she throws the backhand cu really good now but what helped is trying different cu and just working them. lots of girls try to slow their arm down and an effective cu has to have same arm speed imho..good luck

Nov 11, 2009
DD worked with Bill H. a few times. He stressed follow thru to opposite shoulder. Her cu has gotten better with his advise and it is also thrown better when she stays open and throws her back hand hard with what appears to be maximum effort.

Nov 29, 2009
The one thing that will help some with velocity is throwing long distance so long as the rest of her mechanics are good.

There is no wrong way to throw a CU. If the one she is throwing is not working then try another and another and another until she finds something that works for her. Tell her don't be afraid to tweak a particular CU till it works for her. The only thing is to not slow the arm down to make the pitch slower.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
As to improved velocity, the best drill was to put a speed gun on her and a display where she could read her speed after every pitch. Then, I did nothing except sit there, catch and watch this kid kill herself to get "one more mile per hour".

You can optimize mechanics of the pitcher, you can make her do long tosses until the cows come how. Ultimately, pitching is like long distance running. It is up to the her, not the pitching coach and not her Daddie.

One of the things Daddies don't get it is that the DD has to go those last few miles of the journey to become "good" alone. Pitching, ultimately, is like long distance running. Daddies can't make the girl want it. Daddies can't do the work.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
As to improved velocity, the best drill was to put a speed gun on her and a display where she could read her speed after every pitch. Then, I did nothing except sit there, catch and watch this kid kill herself to get "one more mile per hour".

You can optimize mechanics of the pitcher, you can make her do long tosses until the cows come how. Ultimately, pitching is like long distance running. It is up to the her, not the pitching coach and not her Daddie.

One of the things Daddies don't get it is that the DD has to go those last few miles of the journey to become "good" alone. Pitching, ultimately, is like long distance running. Daddies can't make the girl want it. Daddies can't do the work.

Jun 24, 2009
My DD probably throws an odd change up from most, it is kinda like a roll over drop. The key to control for her was making sure she didn't follow through across her body but rather her hand move more toward her target. Speed, long toss. Works for her.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
While she is working on her flip change or whatever turn the wrist change she is working on have her try this junky junk pitch. Some around here call it a circle change. I have seen it work and have 2 players recently adapt quickly.

1. Start with your fastball grip
2. now work the index finger and the thumb around the side of the ball like making an OK sign. They don't have to touch point to point but get them kind of close.
3. relieve the finger tip pressure of the middle finger by holding it straight out off the ball

You are now basically gripping the ball with your ring finger, pinky and the side of your thumb. Eliminating the push of your index finger and middle finger. All the push you are getting is from your last 2 fingers.

4. Now throw a fast ball.

What you just might get is a pitch that is about 4 - 7 mph slower than your fastball that cuts down and away. It's a pretty nice change up.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes