2 questions for experienced dads

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
1) What was the drill or technique that worked the best to help your daughter develop a consistent change-up. My daughter continues to struggle with command on her changeup.

2) For you, what drill or practice routine ( outside of improving mechanics ) that helped improve velocity.

My daughter is 15, 6'0 tall, has a nice curve, throws the rise and her top speed pitches are upper 50s. She goes to a good coach but I'm always looking for things that will help.

She has to find a grip she likes, once she has one she is comfortable with you just have to throw it. Last February my girl learned a new grip that she liked a lot, by spring my DD was not quite ready with her CU. So we just threw change ups every other pitching session, on the of session we mixed it in throw a couple FBs and then a couple CUs then a couple drops curves, then a couple CUs. But we focused our attention on the change.

One thing that seemed to help was putting up a string a bout 2 thirds of the way to the plate, she would try to get the ball over the string, and at the plate it would usually be about shin high. That helped her learn where to release so she wasn't bouncing them up there and wasn't hanging them out belt hight

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Core training, core training, core training.

Ditto.
As far as a change up...No answer here. My girls are developing this. The ones who were more determined to have another pitch we taught a circle change. I think eventually a Flip will be better but that is it for us for now.

As far as a drill for strength...
Add to their warm up. Once they finish their routine and then pitch a few FB's off the pitchers plate then Move them back small increments at a time. I like 5 ft at a time (depending on the player 2-3 steps) Move them back 5 ft. Have them pitch 10 pitches. Then back up 5 more feet 10 more. Then 5 more ft. 10 more etc...until eventually they are about 10 feet in front of 2nd. Keep them from worrying about throwing a strikes..It will not happen. The goal is to make the distance with proper mechanics. Do not expect them to be able to do this from the furthest distance on the first day. Remember for their health and well being build up to this a little more each practice. As an example only do this up to 15 ft behind the pitcher's plate the first time then add to it each workout until you build up the strength. I have younger players (9) so we started with 10 ft behind the plate the first time being the max distance. Remember...Proper Mechanics is key so do not let them get lazy and as it will only re-enforce bad habits. Once I see the arm circle breaking down I warn them, if it continues I take this to mean the strength is not there yet and we stop and pick up at that distance next time. In order to get the ball the distance they will have to power through the release point from the top of the power position. At first it will be ugly as the ball will go everywhere but eventually they will get better at this and a person will be able to stand behind the plate and catch the ball. Even then it will not be strikes but it will be more tame. I like it. No weights, Just long toss for a pitcher and for now it is working well.

Jul 28, 2008
With my dd, I have told her to throw harder on the change than she would her fb. I also told her to envision a table in front of her and to throw the ball underneath the table. These two cues have helped her tremendously. During pitching sessions I will remind her "full speed" or "under the table" if she needs it.

Good luck

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Ultimately, pitching is like long distance running. It is up to the her, not the pitching coach and not her Daddie.

One of the things Daddies don't get it is that the DD has to go those last few miles of the journey to become "good" alone. Pitching, ultimately, is like long distance running. Daddies can't make the girl want it. Daddies can't do the work.

That's an awesome statement, Sluggers. I hope people read it and understand it. There are no magic bullets. Just hard work and desire.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Originally Posted by sluggers
Ultimately, pitching is like long distance running. It is up to the her, not the pitching coach and not her Daddie.

One of the things Daddies don't get it is that the DD has to go those last few miles of the journey to become "good" alone. Pitching, ultimately, is like long distance running. Daddies can't make the girl want it. Daddies can't do the work.
That's an awesome statement, Sluggers. I hope people read it and understand it. There are no magic bullets. Just hard work and desire.
This is true but with an *. Desire can lead to frustration unless stumbling blocks caused by a lack of mechanics and technique are removed. A recent example for me is running. My DD plays on a very fast high caliber high school softball team. A state power. She "should" be able to run fast at about 5' 5" and around 135 but she has been quite a bit slower than speedsters. Genetics..maybe. How quickly her muscles could fire...maybe?. Mechanics...definitely. She tried and had the desire to run faster. Did all the basics that she has been told by so many. As a dad I decided to do a little studying of fast runners in all sports both male and female and see what they had in common. Half a year later you wouldn't recognize my kid on the bases. She really is that much faster.

Back to the original post though;

1) Regarding change up - if she is going to throw a flip change (which seems very hard for most to get very good at) I have had some success by giving girls a target height 1/3 of the way to the plate while practicing. It's like bowling at the arrows instead of the pins. having a close target (height) that is just 14' in front of the pitcher seems to really help.

2) Regarding velocity I've been fortunate to work with a player who is now 17. I've seen her dramatically increase from mid upper 50's (Say 56 - 58) to 60 - 62 (best guess...don't use a gun much) in a short period of time of about 8 months. Here is what she has done.

a) improved arm whip by using internal rotation and not getting her fingers behind the ball and pushing.
b) opening shoulders more allowing a greater stretch of core muscles
c) firmer of the front side and staying back (still landing on a flexed knee but not drifting forward).
d) pure attitude and desire (awesome competitor)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremy523