2 finger grip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 20, 2015
Anyone using the 2 finger grip?

Over a year ago I asked my DD to try a 2 finger grip. She doesn't have big hands so I didn't expect it to go anywhere, but we were noodling around in the winter so she tried it in some drills. At first the ball was coming out of her hand and she was wild but she liked the feel of it so to my surprise she wanted to stick with it. Over the winter she became better and better with it and went with it the whole season for all her her fastballs and drop balls and and it helped her pick up speed and movement. Last fall though her fingers and hand started to hurt almost like tendonitus in the fingers from spreading them on the ball so she went back to the 3 finger and the issue went away immediately. I would like to see her try to go back to the 2 finger possibly just on certain pitches but she is worried that the finger issue will return.

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I have one pitcher with a 2 finger rise and another with a 2 finger drop. I would reintroduce it one pitch at a time. Consider using a grip strengthener. Keep it somewhere close by so she can pick it up when she's doing something mindless like watching TV.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
I have one pitcher with a 2 finger rise and another with a 2 finger drop. I would reintroduce it one pitch at time. Consider using a grip strengthener. Keep it somewhere close by so she can pick it up when she's doing something mindless like watching TV.
I agree that finger strength does have something to do with it. The 2 fingers have to pick up the workload of 3 fingers and the ball is heavier than a baseball. From my observation if you can master it then it definitely adds something. She has not thrown it for three months so she is going to try it tomorrow for a few pitches and see how it goes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes