1st year TB...matching bags and helmets

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
DD's team had matching backpack bat bags last year. We made it work, but it was difficult. We got a carabiner clip to attach her catcher's helmet to the outside on one side and she used some of the straps to attach her shin guards on the other side. Once all the straps broke she started looping the shin guards over a bat. I think her helmet and shin guards got more banged up than usual--though it's hard to tell with her. By the end of the season, she was missing two screws from the helmet facemask and one of the straps that attach the knee portion to the lower section of the shin guard had pulled out. Her mitt, fielder's glove, batting helmet and chest protector did all fit inside the bag.

This year her team is going to allow the catchers to pay an upcharge and get a larger wheeled bag

I am of the opinion that the catchers have to bear enough extra costs and in order to "match" the team should be willing to cough up the extra money for the right sized bag for the catchers. Besides wouldn't it just make sense to give a little back to the kids who bear the most bumps and bruises, not to mention the heat.

Feb 16, 2012
My DD is a pitcher but on every team she has played on the catchers always received the larger bags at no additional cost. As far as the batting helmet goes the team should accommodate the girls they chose to be on team. When I was an HC and then an AC we made accommodations for the girls needs at no additional cost.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
My dd also has a large head. What I do for her is take the face mask off and bend it out then reinstall it on the mask(this is very difficult) the spread open mask will pull the helmet wider. Secondly, I deflated an old cheap volley ball and stuck it inside the helmet and then put the air compressor on it. By over inflating the ball it will spread it open, as well as smash the padding down leave it like this for a couple days. When dd puts it on for the first time it will seem too loose, but when the padding starts to come back out, it will form to her head and be perfect.

Jan 24, 2013
Bolingbrook, IL
Thanks for the advice everyone. Like I said, it's our first year playing TB and I don't want to be THE parent who complains from the start, but the matching bags just kill me.

From what it looked like yesterday, everyone has black bags with white lettering already so I would save that money and play an extra tournament. Maybe I will suggest that she keep whatever money the bag costs and apply it towards the team since we already have one that fits all her gear (2gloves, 2 helmets, bats, leg guards, chest protector, cleats, water bottle, balls).

Batting helmet...I will wait and see what she says about the sizing. In the lowest level of Schutt batting helmet, they only make one size. One level higher and there are 4 sizes available. I can't see it costing more than $10 to upgrade to the one with multiple sizes.

The crazy things a parent worries about...I know.

Jul 2, 2013
I always laugh and remember the good ole days of 12U, when everything had to match. It was fun.

As they age, all you really need is a big stick, fast legs, great glove, and a rifle arm, and they find a way to put shirts, and pants that match everyone and go beat somebody!!!

In high school, they all match because the school buys them for you, for a small nominal fundraising fee.

In big travel org's they "strongly" encourage everyone get the same bag, bat, glove, cleats, headbands, wristbands, undershirts, elbow pads, knee-pads, sliding pants, helmets, face masks, hats, team shirts (am I missing anything?). Charge you retail, though they get them at a deep discount. Hush myself, don't want to give away big org's secrets.

Relax ... it is 12U. Rah ... rah ... enjoy it.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2011
Our former organization was sponsored by (or in reality, "had an agreement with") two both Wilson/DeMarini and Schutt. We were required to purchase their equipment at a "discount" (which mean discount off the list price, not the retail price!). We had the same problem as you with the bags...the coach wanted the backpack style bags and no way was my daughter's equipment going to fit into it. Unfortunately, there was no matching wheeled or even a large bag we could get from them (Wilson/DeMarini bags are so small unless you get an actual coach's equipment bag!). The assistant coach (also a catcher) ended up ordering bags from another source. Our head coach never heard the end of it from the organization people! The previous year, the team bought the two primary catchers larger bags then the rest of the team...at no extra cost to the catchers. They actually offered the large bags to the other players, but they had to pay the difference.

As far as the Schutt helmets, we also get the custom color helmets from them. They should be able to order the right size for your DD...

May 8, 2009
Florida
I have had this problem. We couldnt get a matching helmet in the size needed - I called the manufacturer. The solution was to refund that portion of the money. She used her own helmet. There is no reason to alter to make a safety item fit. It does sound like there is something available that would fit and I think the organization should spend the extra to make it right. Same problem with the bags. You couldnt get all of the catcher's gear into it. Maybe if you packed it just right, but you dont have that time going from game to game. Carry it by hand and it gets damaged, or worse, lost. IMO if they cant provide ONE bag to handle the catchers equipment, she should be allowed to use her bag. I did have one catcher that used a batpack for her batting helmet and spikes, etc. And only used the roller for her catcher gear. Worked good but still a lot of things to account for.

May 31, 2012
If you don't want the bag don't buy the bag. Everywhere you look someone is trying to make money from softball. I personally think its overkill to have all matching gear. A lot of people are more concerned with looking the part than playing the part.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I can't see it costing more than $10 to upgrade to the one with multiple sizes.

well, I will trade you your cost overrun for mine(lol) Schutt is an easy company to do business with,
they threw in a couple of higher end helmets for my organization at minimal additional cost so
we could accommodate the 'pumpkin heads' on my team

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles