1st year 12u https://youtu.be/DdIwa9gOzfI

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I agree with what you are saying, And if she is doing that either staying back or too late then she doesn't under stand sequence of thinking she needs to gain ground or move the mass Early. She simply thinks stay back. I also agree its partly balance as well. The kids that I talk too at her age, which was I'm familiar with require being told steps. Step 1, step 2 etc.

I understand what you are saying. I wouldn’t classify this as a sequencing issue though. The young lady is out of balance which puts her out of sequence. During her load.. balance imo is first,sequence is second. You can’t have a good sequence without balanced actions first and foremost. Make sense?

Once the body is outta balance, compensations occur which will throw the body out of sequence.

Oct 2, 2017
I understand what you are saying. I wouldn’t classify this as a sequencing issue though. The young lady is out of balance which puts her out of sequence. During her load.. balance imo is first,sequence is second. You can’t have a good sequence without balanced actions first and foremost. Make sense?

Once the body is outta balance, compensations occur which will throw the body out of sequence.

What you are referring to in that out of balance puts her in the wrong sequence because she has to make compensations else were to make up for it. I get it, Its what Latta promotes. I'm 100% all for it. While I believe it is very important, I think it has more application to a little older players that have developed more body awareness. Can you teach a 10yo balance? Absolutely. Will it help, sure? You see it all the time in gymnastics and dance like my youngest DD does. But do you see instructors in Dance and Youth gymnastics teach balance first then the move? No they teach how the move should be performed and then teach proper balance at the same time to facilitate the move better. We may have to agree to disagree, but that is why I say its sequence, first. What is the first move a 9-10yo perform in the swing when you hear a coach say "Load up"? They rock back over the back leg just like this girl is doing and her like most initiate that move with their hands first not the legs first. So that in my opinion, shows me where their thinking is. Its sequence to them not balance, at least in the very beginning.

Jun 8, 2016
As an aside, since I would ditch the side toss
She has great hand eye coordination, she's been hitting w a 700+ average, if I could get her to get her body into the swing she'd be putting them over the fence. She has hit the 200' fence. She loves the game, not many 10yo want to practice every day...
Congrats but if she is doing so well it begs the question as to why you are on here asking for an "honest opinion" ?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
What you are referring to in that out of balance puts her in the wrong sequence because she has to make compensations else were to make up for it. I get it, Its what Latta promotes. I'm 100% all for it. While I believe it is very important, I think it has more application to a little older players that have developed more body awareness. Can you teach a 10yo balance? Absolutely. Will it help, sure? You see it all the time in gymnastics and dance like my youngest DD does. But do you see instructors in Dance and Youth gymnastics teach balance first then the move? No they teach how the move should be performed and then teach proper balance at the same time to facilitate the move better. We may have to agree to disagree, but that is why I say its sequence, first. What is the first move a 9-10yo perform in the swing when you hear a coach say "Load up"? They rock back over the back leg just like this girl is doing and her like most initiate that move with their hands first not the legs first. So that in my opinion, shows me where their thinking is. Its sequence to them not balance, at least in the very beginning.

I think we are on the same page or maybe not.. what does ‘a sequence of balanced actions’ mean to you?

Added: my point being .. you don’t teach balance you teach the actions to stay in balance. Any kid can learn that. They are not separate. They are one in the same.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
I think we are on the same page or maybe not.. what does ‘a sequence of balanced actions’ mean to you?

Sequence of balanced actions to me means actions that are performed with full control of the intended purpose. The players is not trying to work at performing the move.

Oct 2, 2017
Again IMO it out of sequence. The swing I think most of us can agree, can be broken down into different core blocks of movements or actions that must take place, and the sub movement patterns that each of those blocks contain. Once a player understands what the purpose of the individual blocks are and how they work in sequence. They can then put the puzzle together to make the entire swing. Now Balance would be a fine tuning of those movement patterns. So I guess I view it as get a player to understand the broad movement block patterns fist then work in the fine tuning things such as balance to bring it all together. Its just like art you start with blocking out the picture then add the detail to create balance. Just IMO

Added: Now that I think about after I read what you added that sequence and balance are one and the same. Which is were I was starting to think you leaned, I would say that Is more correct than adding balance after. They should be taught together. I know from experience while working with my DD that I try and teach her to be in control of the movements in the swing that she is learning. Does control and balance mean one and the same to you?

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Again IMO it out of sequence. The swing I think most of us can agree, can be broken down into different core blocks of movements or actions that must take place, and the sub movement patterns that each of those blocks contain. Once a player understands what the purpose of the individual blocks are and how they work in sequence. They can then put the puzzle together to make the entire swing. Now Balance would be a fine tuning of those movement patterns. So I guess I view it as get a player to understand the broad movement block patterns fist then work in the fine tuning things such as balance to bring it all together. Its just like art you start with blocking out the picture then add the detail to create balance. Just IMO

Added: Now that I think about after I read what you added that sequence and balance are one and the same. Which is were I was starting to think you leaned, I would say that Is more correct than adding balance after. They should be taught together. I know from experience while working with my DD that I try and teach her to be in control of the movements in the swing that she is learning. Does control and balance mean one and the same to you?

Ok. What is exactly out of sequence with this particular hitter?

Oct 24, 2019
Nj
Chris, I know its tempting to use a heavier bat, but trust me do not rush it. With a bat that size she has to try and support it with the swing. Oftern times the youth player has to then muscle up to use it. We do not want muscle up. It could be contributing to many of the issues she is having. She has to learn how to use the body properly to swing in order to support a bat that weight. Drop the weight. I would say no more that a 29-17 to 18 oz. Many parents run into a trap, when switching to a heavier bat because they see the ball fly harder and farther. Then think that is the ticket. Its not, its a band aid that covers up poor mechanics. Proper mechanics, using a lighter bat will produce more consistent and harder driven balls.
She was using the 31-13 mizuno carbon and was doing great, the deal I got on the ghost I couldn't pass up. I ordered a 31-11 2020 ghost. She used 1 at a tournament and liked it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1