1st year 12u https://youtu.be/DdIwa9gOzfI

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
If it’s a taught move.. but she’s not trying to do it purposely??

It’s the move that is bad and puts you out of balance.. something else needs to be taught/learned.

Balanced actions need to be taught when learning a ‘negative’ move.

The positive and negative move are not 2 in the same. A negative move is crucial to a good sequence. Maybe not in it’s origin or laymen’s terms. But in its use during the sequence. Everyone needs a ‘get ready’.. even Lattas guys have a negative/gather move. Even though he tries like H—- to take it out.

Im stating that she is NOT doing the move on purpose to put herself off balance. Its a taught sequence move. So its not just a balance issue, but a balance and sequence issue.

Jun 8, 2016
On the side toss video it starts with her already over her back leg. I only assume she got that way by rocking over it. based upon her getting to the same position off of the tee be rocking back over the rear leg.
Maybe...would like to see a front toss video either way as that is all that really matters anyway.

Jun 8, 2016
A gather (which sometimes can have a negative move as a component...for example Torres has one) is part of the sequence. A bad gather can put a hitter off balance and cause other parts of sequence to be bypassed/off. So yes she is off balance due to her gather and yes her downstream sequence is off because of it...so you are both right. How is that? Just call me Peter Peacemaker.. :LOL:

Edit: Still not convinced that it is her gather that puts her off balance and not her stance..but whatever.. :)

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
A gather (which sometimes can have a negative move as a component...for example Torres has one) is part of the sequence. A bad gather can put a hitter off balance and cause other parts of sequence to be bypassed/off. So yes she is off balance and yes her downstream sequence is off due to it...how is that? Just call me Peter Peacemaker.. :LOL:
:D It a balance issue not a sequence issue. No, its a sequence issues not strictly a balance issue LOL I think you summed it up well Pattar. Way to come through as Peacemaker.

Jun 8, 2016
:D It a balance issue not a sequence issue. No, its a sequence issues not strictly a balance issue LOL I think you summed it up well Pattar. Way to come through as Peacemaker.
When one says a sequence is off it can mean either a) the parts are out of order or b) there are parts missing. A sequence in hitting is an ordered set of events. Change the order or the number of events, when compared to a HL sequence, and the sequence is off.

Apr 17, 2019
I'm a believer that there is always something more that could be done better. Right now she's getting away w her swing. In a year or twoshes going to need to put it all together
Kudos, couldn't agree more. :)
Not to step on the toes of experts, just a coach responding to the call here.... But what I'm seeing, especially in the tee swing (doesn't look as bad in the soft toss, and I'd like to see a number of swings to know if it's an anomaly or not), is that she's way overloaded (maybe the same as w=w's balance issue?) My cue to her for that would be don't let the hands come back so far in the load, they should stay more or less above the back foot. Might do a wall drill for it; plant that back foot about a ball's distance from a wall, have her load then toe touch without the bat. Her hands shouldn't touch the wall (well, they can brush against it). My guess is she'll probably hit against it pretty hard the first time. Make her do that 10 times, then try again off the tee. Repeat.
The toe touch-heel plant is a little out of sequence to me - in as much as the heel plants well before the hip/back foot fires, resulting in her weight staying back. (how's that for saying they're both right? lol)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HCockell