1st year 12u https://youtu.be/DdIwa9gOzfI

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Chris....all very typical stuff I'm would recommend reviewing beginning videos we recommend....this is a good one to start with.

She is very handsy not engaging lower body, and does have a drop the bat swing flat style, does squish the bug and can't tell if the preload is real or just a function of drills and tee versus live pitching.

In addition to this ^^^ video, I'm also a fan of the following one for young/new hitters to learn a better way to swing a bat....

As for this young hitter, I am seeing a lot of issues that are all likely related to a flawed understanding of how a swing is supposed to look and feel. We want to get a way from using the arms swinging around the torso as a primary power source. For first steps, I would try to move her towards learning a better sequence, learning how to create stretch/tension, learning about how to power the swing with the body through connection between the hands and torso.

Oct 2, 2017
In addition to this ^^^ video, I'm also a fan of the following one for young/new hitters to learn a better way to swing a bat....

As for this young hitter, I am seeing a lot of issues that are all likely related to a flawed understanding of how a swing is supposed to look and feel. We want to get a way from using the arms swinging around the torso as a primary power source. For first steps, I would try to move her towards learning a better sequence, learning how to create stretch/tension, learning about how to power the swing with the body through connection between the hands and torso.

this ^^^^^

Apr 16, 2013
As is often the concentration here, we focus on the most obvious issues. I'd just like to throw in that this young lady looks strong. She has a lot of issues that girls her age do. If she maintains that strength while working on the foundational issues presented in this discussion, she's going to be a powerful batter. Good luck Chris!

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
As is often the concentration here, we focus on the most obvious issues. I'd just like to throw in that this young lady looks strong. She has a lot of issues that girls her age do. If she maintains that strength while working on the foundational issues presented in this discussion, she's going to be a powerful batter. Good luck Chris!

Yes in real time the swinging action doesn't look to bad.

Oct 24, 2019
Nj
What is your knowledge of TTB? Also it looks like she doesn't create a very good swing path (doesn't know how to use tilt, drops her back shoulder). And then there is bat drag.

I recently purchased a heavy bag for practicing "the swing". The swing can be worked on without trying to hit a ball. I don't know why I waited so long to buy one.
The bat she was using I believe is a little heavy 4 her 32-10 ghost, I think for 10yo she's doing pretty good. Been working on balance, and foot work

Oct 24, 2019
Nj

She has great hand eye coordination, she's been hitting w a 700+ average, if I could get her to get her body into the swing she'd be putting them over the fence. She has hit the 200' fence. She loves the game, not many 10yo want to practice every day...

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I believe its a sequence issue in IMO as I posted on the other thread the OP posted.

As said before she is back and stays back. Or moves the mass too late. A balancing issue. This causes early leveling issues or the need to get the barrel there immediately or swinging before foot down or whatever you want to call it.

In a balanced sequence the mass will lead in space initially.

Oct 2, 2017
The bat she was using I believe is a little heavy 4 her 32-10 ghost, I think for 10yo she's doing pretty good. Been working on balance, and foot work

Chris, I know its tempting to use a heavier bat, but trust me do not rush it. With a bat that size she has to try and support it with the swing. Oftern times the youth player has to then muscle up to use it. We do not want muscle up. It could be contributing to many of the issues she is having. She has to learn how to use the body properly to swing in order to support a bat that weight. Drop the weight. I would say no more that a 29-17 to 18 oz. Many parents run into a trap, when switching to a heavier bat because they see the ball fly harder and farther. Then think that is the ticket. Its not, its a band aid that covers up poor mechanics. Proper mechanics, using a lighter bat will produce more consistent and harder driven balls.

Oct 2, 2017
As said before she is back and stays back. Or moves the mass too late. A balancing issue. This causes early leveling issues or the need to get the barrel there immediately or swinging before foot down or whatever you want to call it.

In a balanced sequence the mass will lead in space initially.

I agree with what you are saying, And if she is doing that either staying back or too late then she doesn't under stand sequence of thinking she needs to gain ground or move the mass Early. She simply thinks stay back. I also agree its partly balance as well. The kids that I talk too at her age, which was I'm familiar with require being told steps. Step 1, step 2 etc.