16U popping up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2012
I don't know how anybody knows what the problem is; we haven't seen her swing yet. At least I haven't.

Yeah and I'm really sorry about that. I don't seem to be literate enough to get the darn video to post. However. This evening I put a stick in the ground behind her so if she released the bat head to early she would hit the stick. I also made her line up her knuckles. She hit FAR more line drives and ground balls up the middle than she had been. She did still pull a few and pop a few up but not as many.

I'm going to continue working on the video. I'll get it figured out. Sorry guys and thanks for the help.

Jun 11, 2012
California
To go along with the stick in the ground here's a swing thought for her - Hips, shoulders, hands and then bat.

Take the sweet spot of the bat through the plane of the pitch.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
What part of this drill do you feel corrects the problem?

As jbooth points out, we don't what the problem is. However, based on the videos of kids being posted on here, she is probably out of sequence and not throwing the barrel at the ball. The overhand/sidearm throw motion, when performed correctly; teaches the good top hand loading action seen in good swings; it teaches the sequence where the top hand goes back during the stride; it includes a hip cock; it teaches the correct timing of the hip cock within the sequence; it teaches balance where the head stays centered between the feet during the hip cock and stride; and it teaches the correct elbow slotting/hand flattening action used in hitting.

My experience is that most issues in the swing can be traced back to not loading correctly and not getting to a good hitting position with balance and timing. IMO there is no easier way to teach kids how to load their hips and hands and maintain proper balance, than with the overhand/sidearm throw motion. If the kids are taught to load correctly, then they increase the odds of unloading correctly. If the top hand loads by internal rotation, it will almost certainly unload with some external rotation. If the hips are cocked during the stride, they must unwind to swing the bat. If the hips unwind from a balanced position, the odds of the kids getting a decent weight shift increase.

The throwing model teaches kids how to load correctly within a proper sequence where the load is carried to a balanced hitting position. Kids that learn to do that will have fewer swing issues than ones that don't IMO.

I'm no swing expert, but my 14U has this happen when she reverts back to bad habits. Her batting coach puts her on the tee and raises up to right below the shoulders and has her hit it without getting the tee. It seems to fix it pretty quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd