Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
It reminds me of the story I heard from the Atlanta Olympics when a man from Santa Fe, New Mexico tried to buy tickets. They told him that they were only selling to people from the United States and he would have to contact his own country! Good grief.

When I spent a Summer in Alaska people would waddle off the cruise ships and ask if they could use American money here.

Feb 7, 2013
I say this because my DD did have a coach out to get her...until other coaches got wind of his behavior and stepped in.

Not saying this didn't happen to your DD, but who are all of these coaches that at "out to get" softball players? I have coached and assistant coached many fastpitch and PONY baseball teams over the last 5 years and I can say that I have never seen a coach that went out of their way to keep a player down. It's more likely that the coach has an issue with the parents more than anything, but they certaintly don't take it out on the kid. Just seems to be a popular excuse for parents to use if their daughters are not getting the experience they think they are entitled to.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I'd look for another team based on the coach's actions.

However, make sure you don't sour your DD on the thought of playing 2B rather than SS. Both positions are equally important and either could get her a scholarship some day.

As an old middle infielder who played mostly SS over a 20-year career, I actually found that 2B was more difficult once I started playing there. If nothing else, having DD learn the proper footwork for 2B will make her a better SS .... I guarantee it.

Agree...It all depends on the pitchers. If they are getting around on them or not. If you have Great Pitching, 2nd is the key poistion to play...the SS won't be seeing anything but pop-ups... :cool:

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Not saying this didn't happen to your DD, but who are all of these coaches that at "out to get" softball players? I have coached and assistant coached many fastpitch and PONY baseball teams over the last 5 years and I can say that I have never seen a coach that went out of their way to keep a player down. It's more likely that the coach has an issue with the parents more than anything, but they certaintly don't take it out on the kid. Just seems to be a popular excuse for parents to use if their daughters are not getting the experience they think they are entitled to.

Entitled to... or paid for. Should set rates accordingly...you buy tokens... Pisitions & Innings played... jk :cool:

Feb 19, 2012
West US
Rockettech-there are countless examples of coaches who don't belong coaching. There are hundreds more who deserve to be commended and applauded.

My DD's asst. coach was heard telling her she is the worst player he had ever seen, was never wanted on the team, that her teammates hated her, and she was a liability. My first interaction with him was a call telling my DD to quit-that the coaching staff no longer wanted her on the team-that was a lie. Players were seeing the behavior and complaining to parents for months, my DD said nothing. He laughed it off until he was caught by the adults. He would scream at her in the dugout for the poor conduct of another player. These were 12 and thirteen year old girls, yes there are jerks out there.

High school team: coach tells the team if he could replace them all he would. Nobody is safe, and reported counts of bullying and intimidation. He was fired from a previous school for the same conduct.

Local travel coach: sits his team down (after 0-8 season ending tournament) and tells the girls if they had played half a good as his DD and with half her heart, they never would have lost all season. His DD? Team drama queen, argued and disrespected her dad all the time, and started a fight by badmouthing her own teammates. That led to three girls quitting. They were a 18B team.

Sorry to the OP for hijacking.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06