16 Year old Pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

de Groot

Pitcher
May 11, 2010
Hey guys, I am 16 years old and I pitch in a very competitive league.
I am 6.1'' and weigh 145 lbs.
I have a drop, change up and rise ball under my belt and I love to use them!
I went to a couple of pitching clinics and the guy who runs it has played for team Canada so he knows his softball. Anyways, he told me that I should only have a rise, change and drop ball and my drop is basically my fastball. He says I got great mechanics and I do very well against batters in my league.
What do you guys think of just having those 3 pitches for the rest of my career?
Thanks for reading!

9ljpkh.jpg

This was taken a year ago when I just turned 15 in May.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
I think that the advice that you got was probably very good.

I can't tell if you are a male or female. I guess it doesn't matter. I am just asking because I don't know anything about men's fastpitch.

de Groot

Pitcher
May 11, 2010
I am male, shaved my head that summer actually too haha
Well I was thinking the same thing since the guy I work with knows what hes talking about but I just wanted a second opinion, thanks though!

Mar 13, 2010
de groot, most of the male pitchers I know only have three pitchers. (some might have a screw or a curve ball) You don't need more, but it wouldn't hurt to try one of those pitchers.

You've got a lovely stride motion from that pitcher. I always envy the men because they can get so much longer there.

Good luck!

de Groot

Pitcher
May 11, 2010
Hey Lazza, yea my coach who is also a pitcher is teaching me a curve ball also but he says it isn't a very good pitch in the first place and I
am very tall for my age so my stride is very big but I love how it looks!
Poseidon, a guy named Doug Neal ran it who lives around me, very good instructor.
Thanks for the replies!

Mar 13, 2010
Hey Lazza, yea my coach who is also a pitcher is teaching me a curve ball also but he says it isn't a very good pitch in the first place and I

I disagree with that. I have a somewhat decent screw ball (would be better if I knew how i was throwing it) and it completely trips the batters up. Its not very common to have these pitches thrown. At least he's teaching you! Good luck!

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Hey de Groot; I grew up in Goderich and get back there a few times. My DD has been taught by Doug and Mo at a number of clincs. Doug knows what he is talking about. He is a bit old school, but take what he says and learn from it. You will be better for it. By the way, have you ever been to his annual clinic in Kitchener? My DD might have have worked beside you at the clinic.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I know all the old-timers say you only need a drop, rise and change, but I disagree. A good curve or screw can get a hitter chasing a ball that looks like a strike, jam him/her, or otherwise get the hitter off his/her game. It's one of the reasons you see those pitches so much more in the women's game now.

I agree that a curve or screw that starts on the plate and stays there is not a very good pitch, especially if it stays flat. But if you throw them correctly, they can be very effective.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog