14U team DQ'ed at LL World Series for social media post

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
Little League isn't perfect, but I think they got this one right.

I'll have to agree with you on this one. LL was placed in a no win situation by the players. If LL lets this incident go then what happens the next time? The line becomes blurred and there are those who will look to push it further. LL refused to lower their bar and made a tough decision. They've done so in the past with whole JRW baseball roster cheating in the Boys LLWS and the player a few years back with the forged birth certificate. In both cases the whole team suffered for the actions of only a few individuals.

I would bet if you asked everyone of the players in the picture and the girl who took the picture if they've been warned in the past about not posting stupid or inflammatory things on the internet all of them would say "Yes." to the question. Kids do dumb things. And they seem to pick THE worst times to do them.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
I am not raising your kid. While there may be teachable moments the amount of time I spend with players is very small.

Back in the day parents used to raise kids instead of teachers and coaches.

Yep it was the parents. I bet coach had a strict 'all parents have to be in the dugout with the players' rule. The parents were in the dugout watching the kids take the picture. The parents grouped together in the dugout to shield the players from coaches view. Its all the parents fault.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I know in my generation, playing sports in the early 70s, we never did anything to embarrass our coaches and or parents. We never gave any one a sideways glance or a one finger salute. BTW that was complete sarcasm.

Our parents and coaches were tougher then the coaches today. If I got caught doing the wrong thing in school by a coach, I got it from the school, the coach and my parents. Did that stop me from doing dumb things. Nope, I just got better at not getting caught. Everyone wants to act like they never did a thing wrong and you know "kids these days" Thats a bunch of BS there isn't a day that goes by that I don't see something stupid on facebook and say to myself "thank God there wasn't social media and cell phone cameras when I was young"

Its not a defense of these kids, just a suggestion that some people need to cool their jets about how bad these kids are. They did a dumb thing, ever do a dumb thing? I have.

May 17, 2012
Yep it was the parents. I bet coach had a strict 'all parents have to be in the dugout with the players' rule. The parents were in the dugout watching the kids take the picture. The parents grouped together in the dugout to shield the players from coaches view. Its all the parents fault.

Glad we agree on whose responsibility it is to raise your children.

Nov 3, 2012
Im leaning to that was a bad decision. I read the details, and I see what is going on here. The fishy part it that the local director from Kirklan, made the decision to disqualify the Atlee team an then replace them with his local Kirkland team who just lost. That's a bad situation. No way the director has any credibility for making a decision like that when this benefits his team. There's some ugly corrupt politics going on this tournament. Especially more hypocritical when you read the Chadwick coach got kicked out of the game. So they get rewarded for this. What kind of moral message does this send? Yea, it was a bad idea for those girls to post a picture like that. So disqualify them, but don't replace them with your team that just lost. That's not right. I wasn't there, but I kind of have a feeling there were some unsportsmanlike things going on both ways in this game. This was Tit for Tat, and the Atlee team got caught and paid the penalty by the local hometown director.

The National Director goes online to back this up, because he knows this smells and tries to play this off as were a righteous organization. I think the kids are learning a lesson, but I don't think its how to demonstrate good sportsmanship.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2013
100% "coaches" fault! He runs a team that puts themselves above Little League, the game, their parents, and their community. The direction that some of these lousy "coaches" take is deplorable. Raising rats is easy, contributing human beings not so much

From what I’ve read the coach is a class act. Upon learning what his girls did he immediately had the post taken down and trotted them off to apologize to the other team. The Kirkland coaches were reportedly lauded the effort and things should have been dropped at that point.

I don’t believe for a second this was about any rules violations, protecting LL’s image or doing what they thought was right. The Kirkland parents and Kirkland Commissioner simply found a way to do what they couldn’t get done on the field and moved them into the championship.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
From what I’ve read the coach is a class act. Upon learning what his girls did he immediately had the post taken down and trotted them off to apologize to the other team. The Kirkland coaches were reportedly lauded the effort and things should have been dropped at that point.

I don’t believe for a second this was about any rules violations, protecting LL’s image or doing what they thought was right. The Kirkland parents and Kirkland Commissioner simply found a way to do what they couldn’t get done on the field and moved them into the championship.

The decision was made at the Little League HQ's. The Jr WS is run by the Host District and Kirkland is a league within that district.

The Kirkland team showed up at 7:00AM to get ready for the consultation game that day as nobody told them that Altee was out and they were to play in the championship game.

Nov 3, 2012
The decision was made at the Little League HQ's. The Jr WS is run by the Host District and Kirkland is a league within that district.

The Kirkland team showed up at 7:00AM to get ready for the consultation game that day as nobody told them that Altee was out and they were to play in the championship game.

Thet tournament director was from Kirkland. I wonder where the LL HQ got there info? Maybe the tournament director from Kirkland. It just looks bad they were playing. No way they should of moved them to the championship game. Like the Atlee coach said, the LL didn't investigate what happened. IMO, they lost credibility in their decision when they moved the host team into the championship game.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55