14U team DQ'ed at LL World Series for social media post

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
The Tournament Director has nothing to do with Kirkland LL. He helps run the Host District which organizes and runs the tournament.

I'm sure that he thought it was appropriate and in his position obligated to forward any information he had to the National level as they are the ones that decided the fate of the Altee team.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Glad we agree on whose responsibility it is to raise your children.

Absolutely agree. Im sure we also agree that if parents let their still not raised 14 year old child be supervised by negligent people its still the parents fault.

Im sure your players gather in the dugout to take dumb photos all the time. How could any person expect coaches to control what happens in the dugout?? Its the parents fault.

Jun 19, 2013
I guess I'm way way old school because I think that if your kid thinks that's a good idea then you have been too lenient in your parenting. If you child doesn't know better than to do that in the first place and think it's funny and let it be photographed and placed on social media then you have raised a kid with poor judgement. And the consequences should be your child's and their teams, but you should feel the shame of of your failings.

Not saying my kids won't make mistakes at some point but so far I haven't been aware of anything even close and I have 15, 17 & 19 year olds - and a heck of a lot of kids that my kids hang out with have a LOT more class than to be part of that. But the stuff I see and hear from parents and coaches all the time gives you windows into how kids are being raised. They are watching their parents and coaches and are seeing and hearing that this sort of thing is no big deal, and the standard is "whatever you can get away with". Funny that some of the comments have been "be smarter than to put this on social media" - really?? how about DON'T DO IT - then there is nothing to put on social media. Maybe if the standard wasn't "be careful what you share because a coach might see it" and was about being a person and player who tries to do the right thing and strives to be above reproach and what they do can be shared any time - it would be a lot smarter. I'm glad LL made the decision they made.

Nov 18, 2013
These guys have a point. This is about the team that was supposed to play Kirkland for 3rd. Instead they cancelled the 3rd place game and moved up Kirkland. Why not these guys? They had a 5-1 record to Kirkland’s 3-3. Maybe a play in game to get to the championship instead of arbitrarily picking the home team. They set precedence a couple years ago with the Snohomish, WA team. They weren’t kicked out, they just added a game to determine who advanced. Seems like more than a coincidence that neighboring Washington teams benefited from opposite interpretations of a rule against disgracing the game or whatever they’re calling it.

After finalist is disqualified, Warwick North softball denied chance to play for national title - Sports - providencejournal.com - Providence, RI

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
... I think that if your kid thinks that's a good idea then you have been too lenient in your parenting. If you child doesn't know better than to do that in the first place and think it's funny and let it be photographed and placed on social media then you have raised a kid with poor judgement. And the consequences should be your child's and their teams, but you should feel the shame of your failings.

Generally agree w/ you, but this is way too judgmental, IMO.

I do judge the incident itself as worthy of expulsion from the tournament, but I'm not going to judge these parents on the basis of one incident. Lots of kids with great parents have the potential to do foolish things in the moment. Pretty harsh without some history or a pattern to say ''you should feel the shame of your failings,'' IMO.

Nov 18, 2013
Any parent who thinks their kid couldn’t, wouldn’t or hasn’t done something equally as stupid is kidding themselves.

Nov 29, 2009
Any parent who thinks their kid couldn’t, wouldn’t or hasn’t done something equally as stupid is kidding themselves.

That is for sure. My DD said some things in a note about a rival sister school's players. I found out about it afterwards, after the coach drove her over to the other school and made her apologize to the other team.

She got an earful about how stupid it was that night. I told her you can think whatever you want about someone or another team. Just don't share it with everyone. Especially in writing. This was before social media was prevalent.

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
I agree with LL's decision in this case...

How much do you all think the caption affected the decision? Would the same picture, without the caption have been worthy of the same punishment?

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
These guys have a point. This is about the team that was supposed to play Kirkland for 3rd. Instead they cancelled the 3rd place game and moved up Kirkland. Why not these guys? They had a 5-1 record to Kirkland’s 3-3. Maybe a play in game to get to the championship instead of arbitrarily picking the home team. They set precedence a couple years ago with the Snohomish, WA team. They weren’t kicked out, they just added a game to determine who advanced. Seems like more than a coincidence that neighboring Washington teams benefited from opposite interpretations of a rule against disgracing the game or whatever they’re calling it.

I'm not sure how you figure that the South Snohomish team benefited from Little League's decision. If Little League hadn't made up their rules on the fly and added a play-in game, SSLL would have been in the semi-final game.

PGF, TCS,ASA, NSA nor USSSA has any of these goofy, arbitrary rules for a reason. The best team on the field advances.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish