14u players that play like 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
Not all dad coaches are bad. One of our less awesome experiences was with a coach who had no child on the team. He was very knowledgeable, and I'm sure was a great coach for older girls. But he couldn't relate to the 9 year old kids and he lacked passion. No kid on the team, it's easier to be less invested. We had one dad coach we really couldn't stand but it wasn't because of daddy ball. He actually was very much non-daddy ball. DH is the HC of our DD's team and I have to convince him not to go the other way half the time. She's been playing SS since 8U but he's like, "Really, the coach's kid at SS?" lol Well, if she's a great SS, then yes. It really depends on the personality of the coach. Of course, the hard part is knowing before you join and pay your dues how it's going to go. But that's true of any team/coach.

May 15, 2016
I don't think it will hurt her to play out the season. What does she think? While I don't think a team ever "owns" a player just remember that if your DD bolts for another team at this point she might be leaving a lot of other girls (and families) kind of high and dry. That does not make people happy.

Her leaving would leave a major hole in the defense of the team, as well as the offense.

I would be looking seriously at the other teams in the organization as well as other teams in the area. Watch them this summer and pay attention to the coaches and parents. Figure out which teams you think might be a good fit for your DD. Guest play if she can. If she can get her foot in the door prior to tryouts that can help a lot.

Sometimes just a move to another team in the same org can be all that is needed.

The organization is very small, with one 12u team, 2 14u teams, and 2 16u teams, there is no room to move around, nor is that an option for a player to make that choice, the head of the organization makes those moves. We have a general idea of the other organizations around us, she is not interested in going to a different organization, she just wants the one she is in now to go back to the way they functioned, picking only girls with proven talent and are quality people. I am waiting for reality to hit her that such a dream might not come true.

However you do things, do it on the up and up and do it with class. The softball world is small and you don't want to make enemies because you just never know. I have seen plenty of girls leave a team the right way for "greener pastures" only to be back on their original team a year or two later.

I have seen other girls leave a team the wrong way only to be wishing they could be back on their original team. Dear old dad burned bridges so they were not welcomed back.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

I appreciate the warning about not burning bridges, I try my best to do things in a respectable way.

Feb 15, 2016
Hey Bob, it sounds like she will stick it out with her current team for this season. That sounds like a good idea. Is your organization one that keeps all returning players who want to come back or will the organization tell a few of the girls who didn't develop as expected that they don't have a guaranteed spot on the team for next year? If the whole team gets to come back regardless of how they perform, good luck with that. They are chosing not to be competitive and that is fine but it is obviously not what you or your DD want. Do the best 16U players in your organization go all together on one team or do they organize it by year or some other way?

If your DD is one of the best players on her team they will not want to lose her if they have any interest in winning. If I was in your shoes, I would talk to the head of the organization and tell him your concerns. My DDs were in similar situations in two different organizations. In both cases the teams were advertised as better teams than they were. Both organizations had other teams that were better at the next higher age group. In both instances, my DDs were allowed to tryout and play up.

Jun 8, 2016
Does the org head try to evenly split up the talent between the 2 teams or is one a showcase team and the other deemed "developmental" ?

May 15, 2016
Does the org head try to evenly split up the talent between the 2 teams or is one a showcase team and the other deemed "developmental" ?

The org said the teams are supposed to be evenly split, there are two teams in an age range. Some say the split slightly favors the other team in my DDs age range, I have heard that from friends of mine on the other team, but they did not see the talent gap as that great. Maybe the other team was 10% better at the beginning of the year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut