14u players that play like 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
My DD middle school team has its first game of the season this week, but from what I remember about last year's MS team, it wasn't quite this bad.

I wish I could say all the kids on her TB team are good kids. I can't. When she previously played for this organization's 12u and 14u teams it was a great bunch of kids, who didn't always play great, but they tried hard. The parents from both teams were also quality people. Before this season it seemed the organization did a great job of picking worthwhile players from good families.

She has said she does not want to leave this organization, hoping there will be a quality team next year. Do you have any advice on how to approach the head of the organization with our concerns?

Without knowing the people involved, that is a difficult question. Both of the organizations I have been involved in are led by people that I would classify as having "high character". As long as parents are respectful and professional, they are glad to meet and speak with anyone. As a coach in both organizations I had great relationships with them (and still do). When DD was a 16u player I had a conversation with the leader of that organization. DD loved the team she was on (great kids and parents), but their focus was playing in the summer to prepare for high school ball. DD's goal was to play in college. I explained all this to the org leader and he was very understanding. He very much wanted DD to stay with the org but realized that it would probably be best for her to play with another org. He contacted a friend of his to arrange an opportunity to guest play, and the rest is history. But he still contacts me once in a while to see how things are going and his daughter is playing for me at the 23u level this summer. Like I said, we have a good relationship. Unfortunately I cannot guarantee that all people and all organizations will be as understanding. If you believe that the organization is able to meet your DD's long term goals, then it may be worth a shot to try to speak with the proper people in the org. If your DD is interested in playing in college, it may just require their thoughts on the long term plan for the organization and more specifically your DD's team. If their long term plan and your DD's long term plan do not match, then the decision is made for you. Most importantly, make sure you are respectful and professional. The travel ball community is very small... Good luck!

ez_softball

Life at the diamond...
Apr 14, 2017
This is the thing that most of "us" that take things fairly serious forget is that... on average 14U softball is really not that great. :eek: I can go out and watch 14U tournament games and get a feel that there are real players out there but stroll into your local league game and it can be pretty horrific to watch. Heck, watching the 14U Little League World Series will show you what I mean, as almost any B level travel team would beat those teams.

With that being said it's not worth fighting with the organization... find another organization with a team that fits your daughters skill set. For parents I always tell them to find the best team they can that their son/daughter will start and play at least 75% of the time. Any team better and you'll get frustrated with playing time and any team worse and you'll get frustrated with the level of play. Lastly, don't pick a team where daddy is the coach of the 1st baseman if you want to play 1st base. :D My $.02.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
The head of the organization decides who plays on which team, and it is a very small organization. Last year the decisions we well made, this year, this new team of returning players and new players did not result in a good mix.

This is travel right? Not sure why anyone but your family get to decide which team someone is on. I laughed at the head of the last travel organization who suggested that to me he was going to choose which team and coach in the org she has going to be on.

Nov 18, 2013
For parents I always tell them to find the best team they can that their son/daughter will start and play at least 75% of the time. Any team better and you'll get frustrated with playing time and any team worse and you'll get frustrated with the level of play.

Depending on the age I’d change that slightly for pitchers. At 10U I’d expect any girl to see the field 75% of the time regardless of position. As they get older and more specialized that’ll slowly change. IME a pitcher is better off on a quality team seeing fewer innings than a lower team seeing a majority.

Totally agree on Daddy coaches. I still get upset that DD was told she wasn’t a pitcher as a first year 10U. The only “real pitchers” were coaches kids and "needed all the circle time to develop". I guess I can let that one go now.

Apr 28, 2014
Zero offense.. but you are a softball junkie like us... You may be optimistic but you knew the level of talent after the first time they took the field... That was your chance to head for the hills...I would leave now... I never want my kid on a team where she's is clearly the best player.

Apr 12, 2015
Not all teams are competitive. There is nothing wrong with that, plenty of girls play just because they enjoy it and aren't interested in being great or even good. And it is good there are teams for them. There are plenty of young ladies that just want to play for fun and don't want to be pushed or yelled at for missing grounders and so on.

It sounds like you and your DD are NOT one of those girls and would probably be best off searching for a team that at least takes competition and improving skills seriously.

May 15, 2016
Not all teams are competitive. There is nothing wrong with that, plenty of girls play just because they enjoy it and aren't interested in being great or even good. And it is good there are teams for them. There are plenty of young ladies that just want to play for fun and don't want to be pushed or yelled at for missing grounders and so on.

It sounds like you and your DD are NOT one of those girls and would probably be best off searching for a team that at least takes competition and improving skills seriously.

You are absolutely right, some girls just want to hang out with friends and play softball. That sounds like a perfectly valid goal. This organization does not present itself as that type. In their mission statement they talk about preparing girls for high school and collegiate play.

On the team my DD was on in this organization last year there was strong competitive spirit. They were not the best in the area, but many were hungry to win more often.
My DD has clearly gotten better this season, and the only reason I can think of is because of her TB coaches, so it is clear to me they do take the improvement of skills seriously.

May 15, 2016
I would leave now... I never want my kid on a team where she's is clearly the best player.

If she left the team now I do not know where she would play for the duration of this season. Is it better to not play during the spring and summer, than to be on a weak team where she would still be seeing solid 14u pitching, and the chance for what I see as good training from the coaches?

Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
If she left the team now I do not know where she would play for the duration of this season. Is it better to not play during the spring and summer, than to be on a weak team where she would still be seeing solid 14u pitching, and the chance for what I see as good training from the coaches?
I don't think it will hurt her to play out the season. What does she think? While I don't think a team ever "owns" a player just remember that if your DD bolts for another team at this point she might be leaving a lot of other girls (and families) kind of high and dry. That does not make people happy.

I would be looking seriously at the other teams in the organization as well as other teams in the area. Watch them this summer and pay attention to the coaches and parents. Figure out which teams you think might be a good fit for your DD. Guest play if she can. If she can get her foot in the door prior to tryouts that can help a lot.

Sometimes just a move to another team in the same org can be all that is needed.

However you do things, do it on the up and up and do it with class. The softball world is small and you don't want to make enemies because you just never know. I have seen plenty of girls leave a team the right way for "greener pastures" only to be back on their original team a year or two later.

I have seen other girls leave a team the wrong way only to be wishing they could be back on their original team. Dear old dad burned bridges so they were not welcomed back.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk