12u WORKING on the RISE!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2008
My 12 yr old daughter has been working on the rise for about 3 months, she can only get about 5/11 spin. I know this may be early to start her on this pitch but she seem to get the spin so we started working on it. She only throws in the low 50's so the ball does not have much rise but it does have a little movement. She is throwing fastball, 2 different change ups, and the rise she has been working on. She also throw from the slingshot motion from time to time to throw batters timming off.

My question is more about the rise what can she do to help get the 6/12 spin. Any suggestions. I have video of her other pitches also if anyone would like to see them.

YouTube - riseball 2.wmv

Jul 21, 2008

We gave been through the discussion about weather the Rise ball really rises, thats not my question. We started out just learning the spins on different pitches and she could get good spin when working the rise so we started working on it. She picked up on the rise even faster than the rool over drop (could not get much break with the peel), so she don't throw the rolloveror peel at this time. She however get a good drop from her knuckle change so we use that in place of the drop.

Jan 27, 2010
Coach Dan, I don't think that it is too early to start her on the rise, but very seldom does anyone have the perfect rise ball spin. It sounds to me that she is close if she is getting the 5/11 spin. If you look at the Sports Science video, Jenny Finch who is known for her rise doesn't have the perfect spin. If she has the 5/11 spin she should be getting a little up and out movement. I would continue to pursue the perfect spin during the drills but expect to be a little off the 6/12 rotation during the full windmill motion. Your DD looks good. From the background she looks like she might be a "good ole farm girl".

May 13, 2008
An easy to make tool for working on the riseball spin is to use a lag bolt to attach two softballs together. Make sure that you orient the balls so you can get the proper grip on the seams before drilling. Use this during warm-ups and it can be thrown, but I wouldn't recommend going full speed. If the spin isn't correct it is easy to spot. :)

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Need more info

What riseball is she throwing? There is more than one.

Is she a step style pitcher? Leap and drag?

Is she an open style or closed style pitcher?

It makes a difference as to what advice you use is right or wrong.

Hal

Jul 21, 2008
An easy to make tool for working on the riseball spin is to use a lag bolt to attach two softballs together. Make sure that you orient the balls so you can get the proper grip on the seams before drilling. Use this during warm-ups and it can be thrown, but I wouldn't recommend going full speed. If the spin isn't correct it is easy to spot. :)

I have made the 2 balls screwed together per hillhouse. That does work well and we continue to use this device along with a footbal thrown underhand.

Jul 21, 2008
What riseball is she throwing? There is more than one.

Is she a step style pitcher? Leap and drag?

Is she an open style or closed style pitcher?

It makes a difference as to what advice you use is right or wrong.

Hal

Hal, She is a leap and drag pitcher and throw with the open style. Not sure what your asking about what rise is she throwing. She has trouble with the bent finger rise she says it hurts her finger. She just grips normal and I tell her to get the fingers on the inside of the seams so she can turn the ball.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Hal, She is a leap and drag pitcher and throw with the open style. Not sure what your asking about what rise is she throwing. She has trouble with the bent finger rise she says it hurts her finger. She just grips normal and I tell her to get the fingers on the inside of the seams so she can turn the ball.

Have her drop her throwing shoulder just as she releases the ball, even to the point of making her a little off balance. Right as she snaps the wrist, drop the shoulder at the same time. Make the release point at the front hip, not the rear.

They all say thr bent fingered grip is very uncomfortable, until they see how it works in the game.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1