12u winter practice frequency & intensity

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 17, 2014
Middle America
We did twice a week hitting lessons before Christmas and down to once a week now. She really worked hard moving to the left side and has turned a weakness into a strength. Now her fielding could use the same kind of effort to go from good to great. I think she is realizing that not all of them are working so hard on their own and she wants to get better as a team.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
I coach a 12u C team. We practice once a week for 2 hours indoors($75). 30 min of stretching, exercises, and speed/agility drills. 15 minutes throwing progression. Then we break practice down into 20-25 minute blocks working on different skills(hitting/fielding/base running/etc.)
Once a week we also rent space in same facility(owner only uses cages for lessons so we use field) and have a voluntary practice for pitchers and catchers. It's voluntary because each girl pays $5, so sometimes there's not a big turn out.

Aug 9, 2013
10U c here. Sunday - two hour practice focused on fundamentals - always hitting, fielding for sure. Incorporate pitching/agility into portions.

Saturday - Pitchers and catchers for an hour

Wednesday - Fitness session with a trainer.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Indoors on Sundays for 2 hours-defense mainly. Tues and Thurs hitting from 5-7 in my personal facility. Pitching and catching T/T 7-8. Like Tulsa said we do assessments and if theres a glaring need I use the remaining days to do private workouts.

Each player sees a personal trainer for speed agility weights etc 1-2 times a week. The trainer works them at the end of each full practice as well.

We add in classroom sessions as we can for mental conditioning and game study.

This is 12A.

BucketLover

BucketLover
Jan 24, 2014
Just outside of the foul lines
12u A Level

We practice once a week for 2 hours in the winter months as a team 1 hour of field practice, 1 hour in the cages, on the 3rd week we spend 2 hours in the cages. Pitchers and Catchers do one a hour a week. The catchers get a 1/2 hour of one on one training on position specific drills and then work with the pitchers for 1/2 hour. After the hour is up all pitchers and catchers do a 1/2 hour session of cardio with a trainer.

We have found that this routine in the winter time works well. Some of the players, my DD included, see hitting coaches and other types of coaches during the off season and in season as well. The more you can get the team together the better they will be. They need to trust their teammates just as much as they need trust themselves.

Jul 17, 2012
One more thing to think about here. I notice you mentioned that this is an ESTABLISHED travel ball organization. Take this with a grain of salt as it's my own personal observation. With VERY little experience in the sport...here's what I notice.

Strong organizations almost ALWAYS begin to unravel at the younger age groups. The reason the teams were strong in the first place is because there were very dedicated individual leaders, coaching and organizing that program. Most often, those folks follow their kids as they advance to the older age groups, leaving a void in leadership/coaching at the younger age group. If a LOT of effort does not go into finding players with parents that are willing to step into those leadership roles.....you can be sure that the program will falter.

In your specific situation...if what you explained continues, families will start looking to jump ship, starting with the most talented players, as their parents don't want their very capable young daughter playing for a team that gets the snot knocked out of them in every game of every tournament they play.

If I were you, and you have the time, the interest, and the know how.....get involved.

Nov 2, 2012
Interesting FrozenRope this is just what happened with us last summer. Started our own team in the fall and played our first tournament last weekend. Went 3-1 lost in semifinal. Old organization started strong, but fizzled due to the lack of leadership and the fact nobody above really cared about quality at the lower level. As for on topic here, Quality not quantity is important if you ask my advice. If you have girls playing other sports basketball, swimming, indoor track, etc.... they are cross training. Once a week or every 2 should be ample to keep the rust from occurring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krugersoftball