12u pitcher review

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 30, 2020
Do you have an understanding of brush , IR mechanics that DrRiello mentioned?
I have been working on educating myself through the forum so any suggestions or references is appreciated. In past lessons, there was emphasis on driving, staying open, and closing also with discussion of grip and spin, and she was encouraged to whip the arm but no discussion of brush or IR. Her fastball is currently consistently in the 48-50 mph range and she has had good control of the ball so good success with location, but we knew that there was potential for improvement on mechanics....she is motivated and works at it but I haven’t been sure what to work on to help her, so the analysis and suggestions are extremely helpful.

Nov 8, 2018
I have been working on educating myself through the forum so any suggestions or references is appreciated. In past lessons, there was emphasis on driving, staying open, and closing also with discussion of grip and spin, and she was encouraged to whip the arm but no discussion of brush or IR. Her fastball is currently consistently in the 48-50 mph range and she has had good control of the ball so good success with location, but we knew that there was potential for improvement on mechanics....she is motivated and works at it but I haven’t been sure what to work on to help her, so the analysis and suggestions are extremely helpful.

Read the sticky’s. There is amazing information on IR, brush contact, drive mechanics etc. after that post questions so we can help you fully understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
KoinTM

I think she can develop better mechanics for sure. I will suggest a few drills, really working on brush and IR can be addressed at the same time as throwing against the front leg and creating resistance. Instead of throwing with the body on the front leg.

Sep 29, 2014
Biggest thing I noticed was posture....she really leans/bends over she should be straight and tall not sideways and bent over.

Getting her on back toe versus dragging heel on the ground will help a little also working on brush will help because you can't get brush leaning over and clearing your hip out of the way. I can do pics if you don't understand and others can probably pitch in too.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
The one thing I would add is to get rid of finishing with the leg kick to the left. Some pitchers are successful with this but when a pitcher is leaning too far into the pitch they use this as a counter balance and the posture worsens. It also promotes her hips to rotate in the wrong direction or in the best case they are stuck in an open position. Drive the right knee to the side of left knee. Try the over under drill to help promote good hip closure to 45 degrees as well as IR and brush.
https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/learning-to-throw-underhand-versus-learning-to-pitch.22502/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad