12u pitcher review

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 30, 2020

My daughter just turned 12 and is working on improving her mechanics while everything is on hold. Any suggestions for improvement are appreciated if you have the time to take a look at the attached videos. Thanks.

Nov 8, 2018
Real quick. Drive looks pretty good. Could have better lean going in but not a bad.
Timing looks great. Detach at 3 o’clock. Land at 11. All good. That’s real good.
After that her posture is the bigger at issue. Butt goes out. Stays open too long. Never closes to 45 degrees and if you notice her right leg collapses vs a laces down position. Now at release since her butt is out she can’t get brush contact. I posted a few pictures that depict these sequences for you. She has talent for sure. Posture here is a big key to get ir and brush contact.

IMG_6256.png
IMG_6257.png
IMG_6258.png
IMG_6259.png
IMG_6260.png
IMG_6261.png
IMG_6262.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2018
Ps on pic 4 you see her palm up after release. Usually indicates she did not internally rotate. Palm would be down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The hips stay underneath the upper body and is the center of arm action. The arm goes around the hips and the hips aren’t moved away from the arm.

Has she been taught to open up and stay sideways?

Mar 30, 2020
She has been taught to open up and close her hips at the end. She had been working on staying more closed (if I am saying this correctly), but this is very recent video so we will work on getting the hips more underneath. Thanks so much for your feedback.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
If the hips stay underneath the upper body/shoulders and don’t move away from the arm, they will close naturally.

She is too open. You really can’t close the hips from the position she is in at foot plant. If the hips remain under the head/shoulders/upper body they start to close prior to foot plant.

Her bending over with the hips going the wrong way really hurts the posture and therefor arm whip. You want to be tall at release and not tilted over towards 3rd (a little tilt is OK). The shoulder needs to be stable as the stride foot plants to catapult/whip the arm/ball. Bending over and taking the hips away from the arm, creates slop/cushion through the torso/ shoulders that effects potential energy.

Notice how the back foot stops and hangs back as the hips are moving away from the body? She is losing potential energy of throwing against a firm front leg by sinking into the ground. She needs to bring the back leg into/forward with the arm action. Basically throwing against the front leg.

I see a lot of potential improvements that could mean better velocity and control.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
DrRiello

In the stills you posted the shoulders are ahead of the hips at release and approaching release. Should be the other way around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1