12u pitcher (11 years old) - What suggestions/comments do you have

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I am just beginning to educate myself as far as evaluating pitchers,use to let others handle it. The one thing I pick up, mostly because of a the recent talk about illegal pitches, Is that some umps with call her for "double clutching." What I mean by this is that she presents the ball with two hands together, breaks her hands and then after going back brings her hands together again. It is a picky little violation that isn't called to often, but it can be called. The ASA rule reads: The pitcher must not use a pitching motion in which, after bringing the hands
together, the pitcher removes one hand from the ball, and returns the ball to
both hands.

Mar 18, 2010
Pennsylvania
I am just beginning to educate myself as far as evaluating pitchers,use to let others handle it. The one thing I pick up, mostly because of a the recent talk about illegal pitches, Is that some umps with call her for "double clutching." What I mean by this is that she presents the ball with two hands together, breaks her hands and then after going back brings her hands together again. It is a picky little violation that isn't called to often, but it can be called. The ASA rule reads: The pitcher must not use a pitching motion in which, after bringing the hands
both hands.

Coach Al is right, a pitcher cannot bring her hands together twice. Without a front view on the video, I didn't think her hands were together when the hands were in front of her body near her hips, only at the top of her wind-up (near her head). Looking at it again, she is definitely doing this on the 3rd pitch in the video. If she is bringing her hands together twice, then it is an illegal pitch.

Jan 27, 2010
both hands.

I also thought she might be going to the glove twice but the side view makes it hard to be sure. It certainly appears to touch twice.

Thanks for the replies. I will try to get the front view posted soon. I am also going to try to video her some more and post it. However, it was 74 degrees this Past Friday and then Saturday and today a Snow storm!! That's Oklahoma weather for you. My good video camera is really only good with outside light and since there is many inches of snow still on the ground I won't be able to do that for a few days. She will go to the cages to pitch and I will try to video tape some more then.

We truly appreciate the feedback!

May 25, 2008
Pickerington Ohio
Hi, I am trying to upload the YouTube url but with little luck. Below is the url to access the video. I am working on getting a front view uploaded as well.

We are looking for comments/suggestions. Thanks in advance.

YouTube - 12u Daughter pitching (11 years old)

TeNeetKeeMom, I see her timing a little off. She has her stride heel down while her arm is still at the 12 to 11 o'clock position. It should be at 9 o'clock or the 3/4 position. Ask her if she feels like she has to wait for her arm to catch up with the rest of her motion at release. She is close to Internal Rotation, her hand position just before release is the "holding a glass of water" that Cherri Kempf described in her book "The Pitcher's Edge" which is right next door to Internal Rotation. If you haven't read the IR thread by BoardMember do a search and find it. I like to see a bit more reverse posture as she is getting to toe touch so she can turn the forward momentum generated by her stride into energy and power.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32