12u - Latest Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2012
....back on track !!!

Great ....I think this thread is back on track !!!

A few questions...

I asked this question 6 months ago and never really got a clear consensus from this board at that time...

Do you load your scap or does your scap get loaded ?

If its not manually loaded ...what is the sequence of the scap being dynamically loaded ?

How is the resistance created if a manual component does not exist ?

Jul 27, 2015
The scrap is important, when my daughter hits homerun her scrap is pinched throughout.

Scrap pinched = HR's
Scrap loose = line drives
Scrap external rotation = weak grounders

Jul 27, 2015
Think of the scrap as putting a garbage can lid on top of the can. When the can is on top(scap pinched) it moves the upper body as a unit and keeps the stuff flying out of the garbage can. When the lid is off(scap loose) the garbage (your arms) disconnect and fly out of the can. Now the external scrap rotation is like gluing the lid to the side of the can.

Oct 26, 2012

Yes...man ..that thread was a disaster for a bit....arguing.... cat/cow discussions ... another thing I never really grasped the concept of.

I bet if everyone got in a room for a day we could truly all discuss this stuff and get somewhat on the same page. I will reread that thread ...but I remember nobody really agreeing on how the scap got loaded...

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Could there be a more ignorant - sock wearing - non live student - bar room instructor on this planet? He became an expert one day, after his son hit a couple of HR's in a softball game back in 2007.

You are either all in with the barrel turn....or you have a two move swing.
Pay no attention to the Direct/Load blend taking place here. Miggy's not just turning the barrel and finding the ball. Miggy is adjusting and loading based on spin/speed/location. Fact! Smart hands.
MiggyHandDirection3.gif
MiggyHandDirection2.gif
MiggyHandDirection.gif

bd, do you know why there is no consensus on the scap action? Because when you teach a player the value of spatial awareness of the hands and how they don't move-out or go back - but rather STAY in the relative location where they began - the body automatically works to make that happen. Artificially pulling back on the scap is complete and utter BS. And there is no consensus because it's not a subject of topic in the pro game. The good ones understand what "staying back means".

ps, the guy you are following believes you HOLD the rubber-band forward and PULL BACK. Once again, he is wrong by a full 180 degrees. If we were using a "rubber-band" analogy, it would be HOLD the rubber-band back and PULL it forward.

Poor Young Chipper. He's doomed for sure.
JONES_CHIPPER1.gif

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
Howe about that you have two of those scrap thingys and maybe you should be using the muscles in your back and core on both sides of your body. Whether you call it cat/cow or swinging with your back or spine engine

Wright_highback_slo.gif

Votto_hands_xmo.gif
Miggy_rearview.gif
Fielder_2011HRD_back.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member