12u DD vid

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2011
St Louis, MO
At practice 12/16/2011

I shot this with my phone during practice, so might not be good enough quality.

We have been practicing a lot lately, but I dont know enough to point out any little things that could help her. I mainly have repeat anything PC had her doing at that weeks lesson.

What should I be working on and in what order from what can be seen in the video?

If the quality isnt good, just say so, and Ill try to get a better one at next practice.

Thank you all.

Jan 25, 2011
IMO,get her to quit hitting her leg,get her body to open towards third base,she doesnt open hardly at all,let the arm get by the hip,before closing the hip.brushing her forearm to her belly button.Does she throw to left alot?Her glove hand is way out there torwards first,should try to act as if she trying to put her glove on the catchers head.She looks like she forcing to get her arm in the hello elbow,let her arm come across her body and finish the whip.I would get rid of the premotion over the head and just start the pitch with the hands at the hip(like Hillhouse teaches)I would look at how Bill does it and then stick to your guns,when the current PC tries to change her back.

May 22, 2011
St Louis, MO
Thank you.

The glove thing is something she just started doing on her own within the last month or so, dont know where it came from. As far as getting open, that is what I have been trying to work on the last couple of months. Whenever I do get her to start opening up, the next time we practice, its like we just started over or its just not clicking for her.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
I agree with nano...another thing you that helps taking out the premotion is they can concentrate on the stride more and focus in on it to feel it more. As i said in another thread... sometimes just tell them to stop and concentrate on the stride. If they buck at changing the premotion...tell them your not...they can go back to it some other time...after the stride is better. I told one young lady to stop it while we work on stride cause it makes it hard for me to see the stride. :)

Your dd is more stepping.... and the more you stride...the more you can open the hips. She seems to be more up right on launch...than forward for the push off. You can see in the picture where she is at...at heel plant. I would work on more stride (leaping)...down a powerline. jmo

rackem4medd.png

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
I would definately work on eliminating the leg slap.
Throwing the glove toward first is a problem.It pulls her off her powerline and really hurts accuracy. I know you will see some high level girls do it, but it is something that hurts not helps. My dd and I work on this by doing a drill where I stand in front of her with my hand/glove out about wast high. She then dry pitches and tries to slap my hand as she brings her glove down. Sometimes, I back up a little as she does this to get her to stretch her stride out. We wil do this about 10-15 times.
Also I would work on her leg drive off the mound. Instead of exploding off the mound it looks like she is just stepping out.
Keep reading on here. You will find a ton of great information and some really helpful people.
Also, is that her pc in the video?

Jul 26, 2010
You don't see step style pitchers much anymore, it's interesting to see. I can't comment, since I know next to nothing about the style, but there are some posters here that do, hopefully they will comment.

-W

Jan 27, 2010
It appears the PC is showing her to point the glove and then at 43 sec. it looks like he is showing her to open. I would drag the toe through release and not step. Prior posters have given some good advice. I do like the fluid arm circle, but with the step style motion she is not maximizing use of her loose arm.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2008
I agree with changing the premotion and also would like to add that she seems to start very fast and can't maintain that speed through release. I would suggest for her to start out slower and then speed up going thru 12 o'clock and into release. My que is slow to fast. Slow and smooth to start motion and then fast into release.

May 22, 2011
St Louis, MO
Thanks for all the comments.

The man in the video is one of her team coaches.

I will definatly keep reading here and working hard on improving. Hopefully down the road I can post an after video.

I appreciate everyones advice.

Mar 13, 2010
To me (who pitches step style) she wastes a lot of her energy in the wind up and doesn't use much in the actual motion. Wrong way round!

She also doesn't have much of a stride. Very, very short.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd